• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Thoughts on the squirrel steps

VA saddlehunter

I just watched @Nutterbuster video on climbing with the squirrel steps, I'm always looking for the lightest and most packable, easiest, and most efficient climbing method as I'm sure we all are, I also watched or saw a write up somewhere where they were using the new versa straps from Tethrd on the old folding Cranfords, would it be possible to make a squirrel step with the hooks similar to the cranfords with the versa strap already connected? @DanO ???? If so, go ahead and take my money now please!!! Just an idea. Opinions???

if someone can get a 3/4" wide step with a flat back sturdy and stable enough to stand on and climb a tree, without the OCB, we'll all jump on board. I've been trying for two months now. It just doesn't look good. The cranford has design features the squirrel step doesn't that allow it to be used that way, effectively, sometimes.

I think the hooks and rivets are the weak link on the cranfords. I wouldn’t want to introduce them to the squirrel step.

I think the hooks and rivets are the weak link on the cranfords. I wouldn’t want to introduce them to the squirrel step.

Has anyone tried to use a small dogbone (I think that is the term) in lieu of Cranford's hooks?
I would think you could make a short (~6") piece that would replace or augment Cranford's stainless steel hook since that seems to be the weakest link in that system.

Just a stray thought from a guy who learns much more on this site than he gives...

I watched the nut's video and I was impressed by that croc wearing tree squirrel. However I would have liked to have seen the fellow that went for his sticks climb just to have a comparison.
VA saddlehunter,I think you could use a versa strap with a Lone Wolf E-Z hang hook on one end with a squirrel step but you would never get the as tight as the nut does with a OCB. It would be quieter and faster though.

I watched the nut's video and I was impressed by that croc wearing tree squirrel. However I would have liked to have seen the fellow that went for his sticks climb just to have a comparison.
VA saddlehunter,I think you could use a versa strap with a Lone Wolf E-Z hang hook on one end with a squirrel step but you would never get the as tight as the nut does with a OCB. It would be quieter and faster though.

I’ll bet a beer or two I can climb with the ocb’s faster, start to finish, the whooooole enchilada, than you could with SS’s and any sort of rope or strap system currently devised. And the steps would be tight every. Single. Time. I’m rooting for someone to figure this out, but as soon as you add an ezhook, you’ve now defeated the purpose of using the versa strap or rope.

Also, I suspect you could add about 30 seconds to the climb and be perfectly silent. The noise you’re making scraping your lineman’s belt or boot on that pine bark is louder that any noise the step made in that video. And they weren’t vet wrapped. Once they are there will be no noise.

Would a versa strap fit in the SS slot? Just tried passing two layers of my strap through one and didn’t go through.

I’ll bet a beer or two I can climb with the ocb’s faster, start to finish, the whooooole enchilada, than you could with SS’s and any sort of rope or strap system currently devised. And the steps would be tight every. Single. Time. I’m rooting for someone to figure this out, but as soon as you add an ezhook, you’ve now defeated the purpose of using the versa strap or rope.

Also, I suspect you could add about 30 seconds to the climb and be perfectly silent. The noise you’re making scraping your lineman’s belt or boot on that pine bark is louder that any noise the step made in that video. And they weren’t vet wrapped. Once they are there will be no noise.

If that was directed at me, you win. I sometimes use a ring of squirrel steps but I climb with Wild Edge steps or sticks. I couldn't care less how long it takes me to climb. Safety and silence mean more to me than speed.

That video will post soon. Gotta make some editing happen. It'll show both of us on a split screen, going up and down, with me doing a voice over.

Back