• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Three step aiders on long sticks

casts_by_fly

Hi all,

I have the full length heliums. I put single rope aiders on the bottom two sticks and left the top two naked. I’m not terribly aggressive with my spacing or starting step and get to around 18’ pretty comfortably. This is about the right height for what I hunt around here. The heliums are pretty light for what they are, especially compared to steel steps or other older options. However I’m looking to try some other options this or next season. I don’t carry a backpack so I might try strapping 4 sticks (two per side) to a pack, but then I’m adding a backpack to my setup. Instead, I’m thinking about only using two sticks but putting three step aiders on each. By my math, three 18” steps plus 30” is right at 7’ each for 14’. I can get around 18” each for the first step into each aider to hit 17’. Then I put my platform a foot above my last step and step onto it. That’s a nominal 18’ and right about where I am now (30”+18”)*4 + 2’ of aiders plus a step onto platform. I’d cut about 6# off plus only have to set two sticks getting in.

two questions for those more experienced.

1- am I missing something figuring how high I can get? I’m not going to quibble over a foot here or there. I’m normally around 18’ but I killed my buck much closer to 14‘ to the top step this year because that’s what the tree needed. Later in the season when leaves are gone I prefer to be higher and I can always bring a third stick if I know I’ll need it. I’m using the factory versa button and daisy chain strap, and I think I can get the full extension of the aider and strap in the step.

2- are multi step aiders really that unstable that far down? I take more care stepping into a single aider going down but as long as I catch it around the arch of my foot there is no problem. I’m 5’9” and relatively fit and flexible. Is a two step and three step aider that much different? I could also do three two-step aiders and carry three sticks.

thanks
rick

I run the 30" hawks with 3 step aiders on 2 sticks and I get up to about 20' once my platform is set. I converted to the cam cleat that allows me to "loop" the rope up higher to maximize spacing. I think the 18" step spacing is perfect. Like you said, If I really want to get up high, I'll carry the 3rd stick with no aider. However, I'm also 6'3" so my spacing is higher. I carry a small pack on the back, sticks in one hand, and bow in the other. The nice thing about the 18" spacing is they fold up nice, 1 on the top suction button, than 1 on the bottom suction button, and the last one in the cam cleat.

I’m a one sticker, but I use a 3 step aider with 15” spacing and I use every step on every move. As a matter of fact I just ordered an extra step for my ultimater to make it a 4 step, although I probably won’t get any height out of that fourth step after the ground set. but the short answer is yes, if you are resonably fit and nimble a 3 step aider is no problem. If this 60 year old man can handle it I’m sure you can manage it quite nicely. Good Luck!

You might try a "carry as you go" aider in lieu of different length aiders on these long sticks.

I prefer a shorter step interval. I don't think that a longer aider is necessarily less stable than a shorter one, but if you can't get good traction between your boot and the tree, no aider is going to do what you want it to do.

You might try a "carry as you go" aider in lieu of different length aiders on these long sticks.

I prefer a shorter step interval. I don't think that a longer aider is necessarily less stable than a shorter one, but if you can't get good traction between your boot and the tree, no aider is going to do what you want it to do.

what's a carry as you go aider?

what's a carry as you go aider?
A rope ladder that you loop over the top step of your stick, rather than attaching to the bottom step. Once you step on the bottom rung of your stick, you remove the aider and move it to your next stick. Could be as simple as a single-step loop of webbing for a 1-step aider, or a more involved etrier-type rope ladder. If you use pre-set sticks you could set your bottom stick at head level or so and use your etrier to climb it. If you had a preset platform above that you could then move your etrier to the platform and climb on to that without messing with additional sticks, or worrying that inconsiderate individuals would climb on or even steal easily-accessible sticks.

This is a really solid video that shows the use of a moveable aider. Almost went with sticks because of this video, but settled on one stick instead. Good Luck!

A rope ladder that you loop over the top step of your stick, rather than attaching to the bottom step. Once you step on the bottom rung of your stick, you remove the aider and move it to your next stick. Could be as simple as a single-step loop of webbing for a 1-step aider, or a more involved etrier-type rope ladder. If you use pre-set sticks you could set your bottom stick at head level or so and use your etrier to climb it. If you had a preset platform above that you could then move your etrier to the platform and climb on to that without messing with additional sticks, or worrying that inconsiderate individuals would climb on or even steal easily-accessible sticks.

Thanks Guys, that's a good set of videos to explain it. If I already had short and light sticks and wanted to get higher with them, I can see how this would be useful. However, I think for my case I'm trying to minimize how many sticks I have to carry (I'd love to get down to 2). Adding just one step to each stick doesn't give me much benefit other than minimizing aiders. A 5-step would give me 2-3 steps below and that might do it, but I'm not sure I see much benefit over already having a pair of 3-step aiders already attached and not monkeying with them in the woods.

After doing some looking, I think I'm going to wind up with either a pair of 3-step aiders or set myself up for 2TC. The first will be more familiar, the second much lighter. Either way, I don't think either is going to get used this hunting season. Feels like a better thing to sort out in the spring.

thanks
rick

Rick I was kind of where you are now when I first started out. Knew what I wanted but it took some time to sort through all the noise to get what I needed to get there. I wanted light, and I wanted height. I looked at DRT/SRT, Sticks, 2TC, Hand Climber and one stick. After studying all those and looking at the advantages and disadvantages of each I finally settled on one stick because it was light, virtually no height limit and….I knew I could do it. That last one was a big one. 2TC looked awfully tempting, but there’s a pretty good learning curve on that one. One stick isn’t for everyone…but 2TC is for even less. As you mentioned, one stick would be both familiar and light. Think about it….and Good Luck!

Rick I was kind of where you are now when I first started out. Knew what I wanted but it took some time to sort through all the noise to get what I needed to get there. I wanted light, and I wanted height. I looked at DRT/SRT, Sticks, 2TC, Hand Climber and one stick. After studying all those and looking at the advantages and disadvantages of each I finally settled on one stick because it was light, virtually no height limit and….I knew I could do it. That last one was a big one. 2TC looked awfully tempting, but there’s a pretty good learning curve on that one. One stick isn’t for everyone…but 2TC is for even less. As you mentioned, one stick would be both familiar and light. Think about it….and Good Luck!

I’m still working out what I think would be right for me. Sticks work pretty well. They are heavy to carry but I can get just about anywhere and get up a tree quick enough for me. For a repeat sit I can leave the sticks, platform, and tether in the tree overnight. But 4 sticks are 12 lb. Cutting that in half would be great. On the other hand, 2TC would be less than 2lb more than what I’m carrying plus a lot more compact, even going to a long tether and repelling down. A one stick (even if I kept my long stick and added a couple step aider) would end up around 4 lb which would be great, if a little long. Given the trees I end up in, that might be my best choice. We have a lot of poker straight mature timber where the canopy is at 75’. I try to not be in those trees if at all possible unless there is another tree behind me for back cover. I’m normally looking for the most limb-y multi trunk tree with branches and leaves as possible. Some are a little smaller than a volleyball at height, some are shoulder width (about as big as I can get a rope around). I’m normally around the 18’ mark, so not super high. I’m of average height, build, and age. I’m fairly fit and pretty flexible so I have no limitations there. I think I’ll keep reading here and pick one. Then in the spring give it a try and see if it works for me and my trees.

I’m still working out what I think would be right for me. Sticks work pretty well. They are heavy to carry but I can get just about anywhere and get up a tree quick enough for me. For a repeat sit I can leave the sticks, platform, and tether in the tree overnight. But 4 sticks are 12 lb. Cutting that in half would be great. On the other hand, 2TC would be less than 2lb more than what I’m carrying plus a lot more compact, even going to a long tether and repelling down. A one stick (even if I kept my long stick and added a couple step aider) would end up around 4 lb which would be great, if a little long. Given the trees I end up in, that might be my best choice. We have a lot of poker straight mature timber where the canopy is at 75’. I try to not be in those trees if at all possible unless there is another tree behind me for back cover. I’m normally looking for the most limb-y multi trunk tree with branches and leaves as possible. Some are a little smaller than a volleyball at height, some are shoulder width (about as big as I can get a rope around). I’m normally around the 18’ mark, so not super high. I’m of average height, build, and age. I’m fairly fit and pretty flexible so I have no limitations there. I think I’ll keep reading here and pick one. Then in the spring give it a try and see if it works for me and my trees.
Well, I’m 60 and one sticking is awesome. You will eventually work out what’s best for your style of hunting, just take you time and look at the advantages and disadvantages of each for The way you hunt. Good luck!

Back