• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Timber hitch Vs. Girth hitch

bigman

Ok this is my first year saddle hunting. I have ben using a girth hitch but it has sliped 2 times over 1 foot each time. It scared me but I'm commited to this. I was hunting on a maple both times. I was also using webbing. I just got climbing rope and am going to switch to that this week. I'm thinking of using a timber hitch now. Should I also use some sort of stopper below my tree rope as additional safety?

Is it slipping because you introduce slack into it? For example it holds tight while leaning but you stand up for a second close to the tree to grab something. Your bridge and tether are now loose and as a result slip?

No both times was sitting for about 45 seconds and then slid all at once. Not real fast but fast enough!

I've not experienced that but I have less sits than many here. Could be a lack of bite from the webbing. I know many people attach a castration band or zip tie on the loop of tether. Once it is girth hitched they slide it over to tighten the loop against the rope running through it. May not work with webbing. Another option is run the rope through the loop twice.

Watch @g2outdoors videos. Tberes some good info in there.

Hopefully the rope will eliminate the issue. A stopper screwed into the tree just below the rope wouldn't be a bad idea until you find out if the rope takes care of it.

Just wanted to update on the sliding issue. I got 12mm climbing rope and was able to girth hitch it to the tree and it works like a charm. No sliding at all in the last 2 sits! I also have a rope bridge now on my Sit/Drag instead of webbing and it's so much better too. I am STILL waiting on my Ropeman1 to come in so I am climbing with a prussik on my lineman's belt, which sucks, because as a bigman it is somewhat unnerving to have to use 2 hands to adjust yourself, but it works.

Last questions is I use a actual full harness that came with a tree stand to hook my lineman's belt to and I leave it on while sitting for safety purposes, but have been unsure how to attach my saddle to it, not sure if I need to but want advice if I need to or not. I am careful about safety so I will employ any and all safety measures. Because you know "bumbles bounce" but bigmen go splatttttt!

Back