• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

top of sticks as platform?

alukban

I know some of you guys use the top of the sticks as a platform.

I tried it for the first time this weekend and I think it is very doable. I can't push off as easily to get around the tree so some shooting angles are out but it is definitely workable. I found it plenty comfortable too. With 2 stick tops, it could be easier to do foot work.

Any advice, opinions, warnings? :)

Last edited:
I know some of you guys use the top of the sticks as a platform.

I tried it for the first time this weekend and I think it is very doable. I can't push off as easily to get around the tree so some shooting angles are out but is definitely workable. I found it plenty comfortable too. With 2 stick tops, it could be easier to do foot work.

Any advice, opinions, warnings? :)
I've been using the top of my helium sticks this season. At first it was killing my feet. I ended up bolting a couple of pieces of wooden deck railing to the top bracket to make it even with the top step. This spreads out the pressure and is much easier on the feet. You can get around to the left pretty good using this and the tree. I still need to figure out shots behind and to the right. You may not need to do this if your feet were okay. I made them wide so I could widen my stance every now and then, but I usually kept my feet on the steps and this at the same time. So I may end up trimming these down some.

2c91a8ffc7f4ded7de5f99a223d04762.jpg

This was before I added the 2nd piece.
2e8c4eedc2b4c83ce22ac5c9787ba52f.jpg

Sent from my LG-K120 using Tapatalk

I like yer add-on Saddlemaster!

After trying it this weekend, I liked it enough to chop one of my sticks to create 2 sticks: a short stick with an aider for climbing (as the first stick from the ground) and the baby stick just as a platform/step.

My "4" sticks still stack like 3 sticks :)

A7B46796-279C-4B2A-A089-EB39684C5D21_zps7nzotyom.jpg

5557DF86-E0FC-4032-B8CA-08846A772860_zps4mrjsxqy.jpg

I like yer add-on Saddlemaster!

After trying it this weekend, I liked it enough to chop one of my sticks to create 2 sticks: a short stick with an aider for climbing (as the first stick from the ground) and the baby stick just as a platform/step.

My "4" sticks still stack like 3 sticks :)

A7B46796-279C-4B2A-A089-EB39684C5D21_zps7nzotyom.jpg

5557DF86-E0FC-4032-B8CA-08846A772860_zps4mrjsxqy.jpg

This is definitely worth looking into further. Thanks for sharing the pictures. I don't have an extra climbing stick to cut up but I do have some Jim Stepps that I'm wondering if I can mount something onto.

Back