• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Total pack weight

williamson88

What's everyones pack weight with your saddle, platform, sticks etc and did anyone switch from pro sticks to wildedge steps? Looking to make change

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I'm at 19 pounds with everything I take to the woods, minus my bow. I was over 40 when I was using a stand.

I haven't tried to go as light as possible and I have no idea how it compares to others but I'm right around 15 pounds with all my gear the last time I checked....and that includes my longbow and arrows. I guess I'd have to add 2 pounds for my platform over my Ameristeps, and a little more yet if I bring the Assassin.

Don't let @Vtbow fool you. Unless he's carrying all his stuff in his hands, he's yanking your chain. ;)

For real though, it is a glorious time to be a saddlehunter. My pack is usually less than 10lbs.

kestrel and ropes... 4.5
pack 4
sticks 5.5
cross bow 5.5
water 2
calls flashlights thermocell gps one aider... 3 pounds

Ove 20 pounds.

With outsticks... presets... lose 5.5 pounds

or carbon bolts

give me my large mantis and lose 1.5 pounds...

Eat less ice cream and lose even more.

I’m 10 lbs with spurs. Well under 10 with single aider.

So right now I'm at 25 lbs without my bow. I have a homemade stool that weighs 5 lbs that will take it up to 30, but that will only go in with me if I anticipate a potential ground set.
4 primal steps
plywood platform
RC harness/fleece sling/back band
tether, LB
Homemade ghillie hat and shirt (for ground sets)
Range finder, knife, lights, thermocell, bug spray, milkweed

Threw everything in and weighed my bag the other day. Just under 10. Sticks is another 12. So 22. I was at 40 with my stand.

Ok, just weighed the entire pack to be fair since Im carrying a backpack tomorrow and it's supposed to be chilly. 12.8lbs. This incldues my cf bolts, 2 hand drills, treesuit and all the fixings (supposed to be cold and wet and like the standoff from the tree so i don't need knee pads) plus kill kit, sharpfinger knife, 32oz water, gps, analog range finder, screw in platform and ameristeps, headlamp, led flashlihht 6 granola bars, 12 peanut butter crackers, catquiver mini tied to pack with 4 arrows, gloves, knit hat.

kestrel and ropes... 4.5
pack 4
sticks 5.5
cross bow 5.5
water 2
calls flashlights thermocell gps one aider... 3 pounds

Ove 20 pounds.

With outsticks... presets... lose 5.5 pounds

or carbon bolts

give me my large mantis and lose 1.5 pounds...

Eat less ice cream and lose even more.

Each pound of weight we lose is 4 pounds of pressure loss on each knee!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was well over 40 with my stand if I also carried everything else in but usually it was two trips. Haven’t made two trips since I switched to a saddle. Last time I weighed my pack I was at 17 pounds. Things have been adjusted since however and I’d guess I’ve added a couple pounds but eliminated more bulk

I haven't had my beloved Kroger brand Cookies and Cream since August 28th, when I started this Keto thing:cry:
15 pounds gone from me in 1 month...it's worth it.

Man I could go for a bowl right now...

I’m down 40 on the Keto too. At 270 I was pushing the limits of the climbing systems. When I started on this saddle journey I realized the cheapest way to get lighter and more mobile was to look down and concentrate there. I need to weigh my old stand setup and the my new setup. I swear I was 60 lbs with my full climbersetup with cold weather cloths.

Ok, just weighed the entire pack to be fair since Im carrying a backpack tomorrow and it's supposed to be chilly. 12.8lbs. This incldues my cf bolts, 2 hand drills, treesuit and all the fixings (supposed to be cold and wet and like the standoff from the tree so i don't need knee pads) plus kill kit, sharpfinger knife, 32oz water, gps, analog range finder, screw in platform and ameristeps, headlamp, led flashlihht 6 granola bars, 12 peanut butter crackers, catquiver mini tied to pack with 4 arrows, gloves, knit hat.
Holy moley!

6 granola bars and 12 crackers?

Whattaya do? Eat constantly? I'd die if inate that much food in one go.

;)

Quoted from another thread...

-Modified sit-&-drag
-2 identical linesman belts/tethers (2 carabiners and a ropeman1 each)
-Cellphone (with gps apps and imagery pre-downloaded)
-Backpack (5.11 Rush 12)
-3L hydration bladder (Its hot in Texas)
-Backup Battery bank (GPS burns battery)
-Small pack reflective thumbtacks
-3 trash bags
-SD Card reader for phone
-Microfiber lense cloth for cleaning camera lenses
-Toilet paper (never leave home without it!)
-2 knives (skinning and hunting)
-Knee brace (bum knee that hurts sometimes)
-Super bright, green flashlight
-Headlamp
-Grunt tube (first year of this)
-Doe bleat can (first year for this too)
-Cam jam backpack hanger
-Pens (to immediately fill tags)
-Thermacell with backup pads/gas (early season only)
-Angle compensating archery rangefinder
-Pruning shears
-hooyman saw (non prepped trees)

Only one of the following climbing methods at a time, depending on property/situation.

-ClimbRight Aluminum Spurs with aluminum pads for run-n-gun where I can (strapped to sides of pack)

-EZ Kut drill and set of bolts for presets or possible return locations where legal.

-Modified Hawk Helium’s where bark damage isn’t legal.

As far as packing, EVERYTHING in the first list fits inside, or is integrated into, the 5.11 backpack.
The hydration bladder is in the built in hydration storage with the tube on one shoulder strap.
The backup power pack cord is threaded from the main bag compartment through the other shoulder strap for charging while phone is in use.
The rangefinder is attached to a shoulder strap as well, so it is always at hand.
The Hawk Helium’s get strapped to the back with sewn in straps when I use them.
My bow gets tied to the back when using anything other than sticks.

It is fairly heavy, but the key is that it is ergonomic. There is zero bulk. By far the bulkiest things I carry are my bow or the sticks. I can handle a pound or two extra so long as there isn’t crap hanging all over the place tangling brush.

EDIT:
I just weighed my setup with bolts as the climbing method.

All in, with climbing method, saddle, ropes, backpack, bow, arrows, EVERYTHING I would have on a hunt except water.... my setup is 22.8lbs. The 18 bolts definitely don’t help that number.
Add 6.6lbs if I fill the water up all the way for a total weight of 29.4lbs for an easy all day sit.

Holy moley!

6 granola bars and 12 crackers?

Whattaya do? Eat constantly? I'd die if inate that much food in one go.

;)
It's cold here man, need the carbs to stay warm!!!!

For got to include the mortorola sp50 radio and extra battery pack...man I pack a lot of stuff...2018-10-06 07.28.31.jpg

It's cold here man, need the carbs to stay warm!!!!

For got to include the mortorola sp50 radio and extra battery pack...man I pack a lot of stuff...View attachment 6829
Lucky you. Low here is 72 and the high is 90. Gonna be a lot longer walk back out! I'll be in t-shirts and mesh turkey pants until after Halloween, maybe Thanksgiving.

#treeselfie
d431e64e6a4028de8410d1821771c3b3.jpg

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Back