• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Trad gear!

woods89

Been awhile since I've been on here. Been busy but now the season is getting closer and I'm ready to hang in a tree!

The reason I'm posting here is that I'm considering getting into trad archery. I know there are some great trad guys on here who understand how sadde hunting and trad gear work together. So I'm going to solicit a little guidiance from you guys.

When I started bowhunting I was like many people. I saw this gadget and that gadget, bought them as I could, and before I knew it I was carrying all kinds of stuff in the woods. As I grew in experience I reached a point where it began to dawn on me that woodsmanship and persistance were going to be the key factors in my success and I began to streamline my gear as much as I could. My saddle was a big part of that, as it allowed me to hike in a long ways and hang in almost any tree without a lot of bulk and weight. When I started combining backpacking and hunting, that went even further as it became vitally important to only take what I needed to keep my total weight down. At this point I get a certain amount of joy out of having simple but high quality gear that hinders me as little as possible.

So now I'm looking to replace my bow in a year or two and the traditional thing has been on my mind. I can honestly say it's not because I'm looking for a greater challenge as killing deer with any bow on public land is hard enough! And I'm still an avid rifle and muzzleloader hunter, and fill my freezer most years with one or the other. But the simplicity of a recurve is really starting to appeal to me.

As far as range goes I probably wouldn't give up much if I could become proficient to 25-30 yds. Practically all of my spots are limited to that range because of brush. And I have a very hard time sticking to a good shot sequence when I have deer close. Now I know that trad bows require shot sequences too, but it seems like a system that relies more on muscle memory would help. You could probably say that if I stuck to my compound for a while and gained more experience that would get better and I would probably agree. But I'll have to admit, I'm just getting a little tired of sights, rests, stabilizers, etc.

I'm 27 right now. I just wonder if I could spend the next 4-5 years really learning to shoot traditional if that would give me a very rewarding hobby for the rest of my life. I know for sure I would rather learn to shoot one now than in 15 years when I may be a little more bored by my compound.

Thoughts? Advice? If you want to tell me to spend a while shooting my compound, that's fine! That's what my brother and dad think! But their hunting styles are a bit different than mine.

Thanks in advance.....

Do it!!! I was hoping to hunt Trad this year. Bought three bows to try them out. Found classes and ranges where I could meet others.

Then "life happened". In July I realized I hadn't do anything with them. Sold them all. I wish I would have started earlier. But now with Kids and aging eyes and muscles... this dog may never learn that trick. Wish I had. Heck, even if I saved one of the bows, I would have sent it to you to work with, just so somebody new would take up the sport.

Try it and practice. If you can shoot traditional well, shooting a newer compound will be easy. I know a lot of people that shoot and switch back and forth with ease.

Thanks guys! I think I might try to get my hands on some entry level gear and see what happens!

Do it. There is an additional challenge in using traditional equipment but with the additional challenge come additional satisfaction. There are traditional bow shoots all around the country and that is a good place to start your search. Bows are so different between makers and you really need to play with some of them to see what feels the best for you. I made the switch years ago and have never looked back. This buck was taken in Pennsylvania. Even though it’s not a big deer, the look on my face shows the satisfaction I felt when I connected with him.

normal_Picture_1105_%28Medium%29.jpg

Back