• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Trail Camera Concealment Project

dpierce72

As many of you, I run cameras on public land. And 'knock on wood', I have had decent luck not getting my cameras stolen. I always put them one stick high, discard the thick web strap (which draws attention IMO) for a truckers hitched para cord ...and occasionally use a python cable. This has worked pretty well, but the cameras do stick out a bit even though I try to weave vines / branches etc around them.

Last night I was trimming my sapper suite so the material would not interfere w/my bow string and had an idea. This may be old news to most of you, although I searched the site and didn't find anything similar.

Any way, I took some of my wife hair bands and tied the discarded sapper material onto them to use as trail camera camo.

- Is this overkill? Probably.
- Will this prevent theft? Probably not.
- Was it an easy project sitting around on a Friday night that didn't cost a penny? Yep.

IMG_4291-2.jpgIMG_4293-2.jpgIMG_4292-2.jpg

Looks cool, I wonder how it’ll look on a tree? You should take some pics of it on the tree

I like it!! I run trailcams on public too. Agreed, 1 stick high and take some small branches to break it up a bit. Covered cam with duct tape then hot glued dry bark on it. Nobody has found em......so far
4ae96b4389c69df9836aea299f3824d1.jpg
a586a96d0c22a89a58a950483a1e0067.jpg
dc6525fdfe70d98ed671593270d98155.jpg
f26bb655462f2f52f024650547a0cf1f.jpg
5dab5cabdd78f8e95f41f620a3931d59.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

The bark looks awesome too!

I recognize that bracket and actually have the list of materials to purchase today lol. I have always used the 'branch behind the cam' method, but had some squirrels knock a few out of position. I think I'll use the one with the tie plate, but not sure yet.

I also hang them high. I use a rubber door stop to get the angle. Also the best thing I do is hang with light fishing wire wrapped around the tree. The strap that comes with them is very noticable. I custom paint mine a lighter shade. Also i will glue bark on it from the tree im hanging it on. Lol i dont use duct tape first...thats a better idea.

I tried those homemade screw in hangers. I could never get them into the oaks I hunt. Awful threads. The wire works mint, Plus its public friendly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
My friend hot glued fake leaves from Walmart that you use in flower arrangements that were fall colored and it was really hard to see it even when I knew where it was located.

As many of you, I run cameras on public land. And 'knock on wood', I have had decent luck not getting my cameras stolen. I always put them one stick high, discard the thick web strap (which draws attention IMO) for a truckers hitched para cord ...and occasionally use a python cable. This has worked pretty well, but the cameras do stick out a bit even though I try to weave vines / branches etc around them.

Last night I was trimming my sapper suite so the material would not interfere w/my bow string and had an idea. This may be old news to most of you, although I searched the site and didn't find anything similar.

Any way, I took some of my wife hair bands and tied the discarded sapper material onto them to use as trail camera camo.

- Was it an easy project sitting around on a Friday night that didn't cost a penny? Yep.

View attachment 13243View attachment 13244View attachment 13245
Awesome, did this a couple months ago!
19941a89076d34b572c07e0cd777beff.jpg

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

View attachment 13243View attachment 13244View attachment 13245
I put mine at least 2 sticks high. So far so good. Nice job on the camo job just make sure the strips don't blow in front of the sensor because you'll get a lot of blank photos.

Oh my goodness! there are a bunch of things you can buy that are awesome for attaching cameras to trees. I also hang mine about 10-12 feet and I use my saddle and LW hand climber to put them up. I have three different styles and bought them all at Bass Pro they range from $14 to $20. I put corn out to get more pictures of deer and have pictures of guy's come along and see all the corn on the ground and looking around all confused and can't find the cameras LOL. I've even had someone put up a treestand a few trees away from my camera in an area I was checking out, the corn was gone but the area was so beat up they thought it was a hot spot LOL. I have a difficult time finding my cameras and I know where they are!

Back