• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Transitioning trad bow to weak side

Red Beard

SH Member
Mar 3, 2019
in my skin
What's the trick to getting a trad bow up and over your tether/bridge for a weak side shot? Does anyone even do that? It's hard enough to not get busted attempting that maneuver with a 34" compound.

Allegheny Tom

SH Member
Feb 4, 2018
Western Pennsylvania
Shooting the weak side is probably my weakest skill in saddle hunting. Short drawing on the weak side is a common issue with trad shooters.
That being said, I would rather stand on the platform and turn around to shoot as if I am on a conventional stand.
I feel its too risky for me to try to quietly get the bow over or under the bridge (with minimal movement and fumbling) and then still make an accurate shot. Better for me to turn on the platform. Its another reason why I don't really like a ROS.
I have gone over the bridge, under the bridge, and behind my back and none of those work as well as just turning on the platform.
On tiny trees, I've even handed the bow around the back side of the tree. Not a big fan of going over to the weak side.
Un-nocking the arrow helps me get over there but then I need to re-nock for the shot.
I really try to set my platform so deer dont get on my weak side, but thats a challenge in of itself.

always89y

Vendor Rep
SH Member
Jan 2, 2019
Knoxville, TN
Dude, keep a bow on both sides of the tree!:grinning:
So, I have adopted the practice of hanging my bow either on the opposite side of the tree ( I never hang in a tree I cant reach around) or on a branch behind me. I always seem to manage to bump the bow and drop an arrow or 2 when its on the side of the tree. This heeps me from having to pass by the tether and bridge with the bow.

ricky racer

Aug 8, 2016
Niles/Buchanan, MI
For a weak side shot, I pivot on my platform with my back to the tree. I never pivot the other way which requires you to pick the bow up over the tether. Sometimes it requires letting a bit of length out of my tether but that only takes a second to do. I'll never run pouches on my saddle because I don't want them scrapping up against the tree.

GCTerpfan

Staff member
SH Member
Aug 11, 2017
Garrett County, MD
It's tough to get a Trad bow over or under the bridge. On a platform I pivot like others have said but, the reason I went back to a ROS is for this reason. For a weak side shot on a ROS I simply rotate towards my weak side enough to shoot a drop shot type shot.

Aug 2, 2020
Georgia
I put my finger on my arrow to hold it on the shelf, rotate the bow horizontal, drop top limb down on the weak side, then rotate back when the bottom limb clears the trunk. It's basically just a roll of the wrist and throwing a left elbow as you rotate your hips to transition to the weak side.

Red Beard

SH Member
Mar 3, 2019
in my skin
I put my finger on my arrow to hold it on the shelf, rotate the bow horizontal, drop top limb down on the weak side, then rotate back when the bottom limb clears the trunk. It's basically just a roll of the wrist and throwing a left elbow as you rotate your hips to transition to the weak side.
This is perfect! Thanks for the detailed description. I'm going to try it.

Reactions: trailblazer75

boyne bowhunter

Staff member
SH Member
Aug 17, 2016
NW Michigan
I'm old and not as flexible as I used to be. I have trouble taking that weak side shot over the bridge with my compound, forget the longbow.

My planned solution for weak side shots with the long bow is the same as I use for the compound. I put the platform on the opposite side of the tree from the climbing stick. That gives me the option to stealthily move around the tree to my left if a weak side shot is required and stand on the top of the climbing stick. That benefits me it two ways. First it puts me back behind the tree from the prey providing a bit of concealment. Second, and most important for me, is it turns that off side shot into a standard strong side shot just facing the other side of the tree.

Last edited:

trailblazer75

Dec 24, 2018
Springfield, MO
This exact situation lost me a chance at a 140" or more buck last season. I was new to trad bows. Still am, really. Interested to see the solutions.

Reactions: Plebe

Razorbak66

Oct 17, 2019
I use to shoot a duel shelf bow years ago until it broke I was able to shoot multiple deers that way I slip arrow off and flip on other side. Dang I’m gonna have to make another one if I got time this summer I think this would be great for saddle hunting

• Wow
Reactions: Red Beard

Razorbak66

Oct 17, 2019
LOL I actually like to shoot both hands started off with the when I was 5 since I didn’t know better until I was 12 then figured I needed to go dominant eye but by then I found I can shoot fairly well both hands but primarily shoot lefty and now since I’m in the saddle game I never thought of doing it until you started this thread. Thanks a lot now I got something to mess with again LOL