• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Traps and quick links

Gator

SH Member
So last year was one of my first really trying to trap. Twice I had my quick link unscrew resulting in one trapping disconnecting from the earth anchor and a racoon leaving with my trap. The other was a coyote but even though the quick link unscrewed, he was still stuck. My question is what do you do to eliminate this issue? Is it as simple as wrenching the quick link tight versus tightening with fingers or do I need to go further (maybe even taping the nut closed)?

Double them up and orient them different ways(have one gate screwing up and the other down) is one way. I use "sleep ez" hooks which are just like the screw gated caribeeners we use on our saddles.

The other way is to use a virgin j-hook on the end swivel to connect to earth anchor.

I girth hitch the earth anchor cable to the swivel.

I used a body trap once, so I’m no trapper, but I used a small stainless steel carabiner that I had laying around.

Get rid of the quick links and go with mb crunchproof swivels and invest in a “J” Hook tool.

Back