• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Tree Bolts at an angle...

j0sh

I've got some heavy duty bolts used to attach crossarms to power pole(about as strong as grade 8) I'm not worried about the strength. but i want to put them in a very, very big tree. like a 3ft diameter tree. I have some screw in steps in it now but i'm basically straddling the tree and spread eagle to climb them since they are coming out each side.. Now I have these bolts and am wondering what guy's think about putting them into the tree straight out, but towards the front. I'll attach a diagram for easier understanding. my bolts are like 14" long btw.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 20
  • h-j8708-2.jpg
    h-j8708-2.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 21
I've got some heavy duty bolts used to attach crossarms to power pole(about as strong as grade 8) I'm not worried about the strength. but i want to put them in a very, very big tree. like a 3ft diameter tree. I have some screw in steps in it now but i'm basically straddling the tree and spread eagle to climb them since they are coming out each side.. Now I have these bolts and am wondering what guy's think about putting them into the tree straight out, but towards the front. I'll attach a diagram for easier understanding. my bolts are like 14" long btw.

On the large diameter trees, I do mine more like this...
b6176af585d1463a2f824a69f88650c4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think that could work. I have a lot of very big trees in the riverbottom I hunt. But you may find that everything about them is a pain. Harder to shoot around, harder to climb, and you may need to make a dedicated lineman's and tether just for thise trees. I usually roll with 6 feet for average "basketball-sized" trees, but some of the big oaks and hickories you'd need twice that to work with, IF you could get a rope around them in the first place.

Eberhart climbs big'uns, and he uses t screws to attach his tether because you can't reach around a really large tree.

I think that could work. I have a lot of very big trees in the riverbottom I hunt. But you may find that everything about them is a pain. Harder to shoot around, harder to climb, and you may need to make a dedicated lineman's and tether just for thise trees. I usually roll with 6 feet for average "basketball-sized" trees, but some of the big oaks and hickories you'd need twice that to work with, IF you could get a rope around them in the first place.

Eberhart climbs big'uns, and he uses t screws to attach his tether because you can't reach around a really large tree.

This is why I wanted to move the bolts forward because the lineman’s belt gets caught onEVERY screw in and if the steps were closer to the front I would have that issue. For bigger trees I made a 4ft rope loop to girth hitch to my existing tether to make an “extension” instead of making another tether all together and I can carry it in the same Molle pouch as my tether. Handy

This is why I wanted to move the bolts forward because the lineman’s belt gets caught onEVERY screw in and if the steps were closer to the front I would have that issue. For bigger trees I made a 4ft rope loop to girth hitch to my existing tether to make an “extension” instead of making another tether all together and I can carry it in the same Molle pouch as my tether. Handy

Makes sense. I may start playing with the t-screws, 'cause some of those big old monster trees would make nice little stand locations.

The pecans and cottonwoods where I hunt can both get ABSOLUTELY HUGE. There are a couple cottonwoods in perfect observation locations where I could climb to 40-50 feet and look out over nearly a hundred acres of edge. I just haven’t gotten the guts to try climbing a tree I can’t advance a linesman belt up.

I’m wondering if Eberhart is climbing without tying in when he mentions being able to hunt from a “flat wall” type large tree....?

I’d bet he doesn’t tie in at all since he’s basically a squirrel after 30 yrs of climbing trees lol. This tree I've got set up will be one I'll leave set up for basically forever. It's literally the only good tree i could get in and its right next to a deep creek. I could never get any tree stands on any of these tree other then maybe a hang on which I'm super leary about anyway. Thank God for my saddle

The angled drilling has worked for me for going on three decades. I was introduced to the original woodpecker drill by a local legend and he advised a 45 degree entry towards the tree center, especially for the top two which act as a platform. I’ve climbed huge trees with little issues.4FD593DD-3DF4-4D2D-BE54-190AF337DD62.jpeg

Good tips guys, ill give both eay a try. I was hust thinking of the ergo of it. Have the holts feel more like a normal ladder when climbing then having feet climbing at a 45. We shall see.

The angled drilling has worked for me for going on three decades. I was introduced to the original woodpecker drill by a local legend and he advised a 45 degree entry towards the tree center, especially for the top two which act as a platform. I’ve climbed huge trees with little issues.View attachment 6056

This is how I have been doing it in my practice setups

Back