• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Tree Diameter Preference for Saddle Hunting

yoda4x4

So I'm literally in my saddle on my 3rd saddle hunt ever and am trying to figure out if this is for me. This will be part 1 of a 2 part Q&A post related to my findings.

So as a treestand hunter, I have always preferred the biggest diameter tree I could get into because it gave me the most amount of coverage behind me. Plus, bigger trees tend to sway less than smaller ones when it's windy out. So today I'm sitting in the largest tree I've tried with saddle hunting and have quickly decided that bigger = worse. I just don't feel anywhere near as comfortable as I did when the tree was smaller in diameter.

What's everyone else's thoughts on this?

David

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

I actually ended up in my first really big one fairly recently.... and yeah.... wasn't a fan... I've found that the slightly bigger rha. A basketball size fits me pretty well...though I typically end up in something about the size of a volleyball... anywhere in that range is pretty good but i do prefer to be able to hide a bit more

Basketball size usually. I often climb with LWHC, so I’m limited to about the same trees as a regular climbing stand.

I prefer volleyball or smaller. The smaller ones allow me to see in front better while still blocking my sillouette.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I'll take what I can get, but for the most part I feel more comfortable in a tree I can hug. To me easier to climb because I can get more leverage moving up, and I feel safer coming down because if all else fails I can ride it down. No fun in the wind though.

I generally like shoulder width. I have climbed some larger trees this season and didn't see a problem. I try to steer clear of small diameter trees since I feel I look like...what was the phrase, corn dog in a tree? Lol.

Attachments

• oct 19 evening 3.jpg
    oct 19 evening 3.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 62
  • oct 26 2022 3.jpg
    oct 26 2022 3.jpg
    635.1 KB · Views: 65
  • oct 28 3.jpg
    oct 28 3.jpg
    472.6 KB · Views: 65
  • oct 28 4.jpg
    oct 28 4.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 59
You’ll hear lots of opinions but more folks favor basket ball sized or beach ball sized. Much smaller and it feels like you’re riding a bronco, much bigger and you run into length of rope issues.
Here’s a basketball size I was in awhile back:
243A76A8-6319-4060-A733-345E4199B80C.png

Basketball size are good but if there is a tree where I need to be I don't care what size it is.
I hunt the sign not trees.
A word of caution about big trees in the wind they may not sway but have you ever noticed what trees get blown down in the wind . It's usually the bigger diameter trees. Stay safe.

Beggers can’t be choosers but prefer volleyball up to basketball. Anything wider and it’s more difficult to get things set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hunted an 8" tree last week and a 24" one today. Whichever tree gives me the best cover is the one I climb. The 8" one was the only one I could get into.

I don't like/don't feel as safe when I can't wrap my arms around and having to toss ropes. I'll do it if it's the only option but otherwise no thanks. About volleyball to basketball size is sweet spot. I seek out limbs, love having a few to break up the outline.

I don't like/don't feel as safe when I can't wrap my arms around and having to toss ropes. I'll do it if it's the only option but otherwise no thanks. About volleyball to basketball size is sweet spot. I seek out limbs, love having a few to break up the outline.
Agreed, volleyball/basketball with limbs or forks….. don’t get me started on doubles & triples……

My goal is the size everyone says but I’ve also hunted larger and some real small ones this year experimenting in my first year. I found too big to get my arms around doesn’t work well for me, I just didn’t feel as effective getting up the tree trying to toss things around the tree as I climb (I’m using sticks). I was in a small tree in some pretty good wind on Friday (15-20 steady with gusts of more) and actually felt more comfortable than I used to in a hang on when it was windy. I’m not sure why but I really felt like I was swing less and was personally more stable while the tree was moving.

Every once in a while, when the situation presents itself, I like to hunt out of really big trees. Some type of rope access is just about the only way to get into them, and you can just about guarantee you are the only one hunting out of that thing (maybe ever). I think tree choice has a lot to do with your climbing preference and options. Also, it has a lot to do with the trees you have to hunt.

Attachments

• ready to climb.jpg
    ready to climb.jpg
    402.5 KB · Views: 45
  • DRT oak set 2022.jpg
    DRT oak set 2022.jpg
    290.3 KB · Views: 45
Thanks for everyone's replies. I agree that you should hunt the sign but if given the choice, I'm going to going smaller next time.

David

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

2 weeks ago I hunted a 4” diameter Aspen on a windy day, wouldn’t recommend that, but hunted on a calm day and I was fine. I like the smaller trees (basketball or smaller) and that’s typical where I hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back