• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Tree hopper recon back pain

jerwin1776

Anyone ever flip the panels on a tree hopper recon and find that it hurts the crap out of your lower back? I flipped mine this year to prevent the upper panel sag, and after my first long sit it is painful. Can’t remember it being like that before.

How does the latitude method 2 compare to the recon? Thinking I might switch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why not just flip the panels back the original way, or were you having pain that way too? I tried the panel switch that everybody seems to like, but I didn’t find it anymore comfortable than the original way so I left it the way it originally came.

I would give it another sit. I doubt flipping the panels caused it. I’ve had sits were all things just weren’t dialed in right and ended up a little sore, especially on the first sit of the year.

I personally found the Recon much more comfortable than the Lattitude. The Recon is wider so came around my hips farther and I like the straps being able to self adjust in the buckles better than having to move/manually adjust a bridge attachment point

Yeah I have a back band, tried it not a huge fan.

And agreed I do need to give it another sit or two. This was the first lengthy sit of the season.

When I had the panels the other way I don’t recall the back pain, but it was a pain in the a$$ with the upper panel sagging down. So I may switch them back but we’ll see. I’m gonna do another sit tonight and see how it feels again.

I don’t think the type of saddle has anything to do with it. I would bet you’re just out of “saddle shape”. Keep at it and the pain will be gone.

Yeah I have a back band, tried it not a huge fan.

And agreed I do need to give it another sit or two. This was the first lengthy sit of the season.

When I had the panels the other way I don’t recall the back pain, but it was a pain in the a$$ with the upper panel sagging down. So I may switch them back but we’ll see. I’m gonna do another sit tonight and see how it feels again.

That’s odd, I don’t remember my top panel ever sagging down. Like others have stated id give it another go or two and see. Try some different panel positions while you’re in it, that saddle is very adjustable.

Well I’m back at it and I moved the position of the tether down a little…seems to help a bit.

c4a718068ba34f0e92fc42c3572ed514.jpg

Come to the light, the JX3 tree saddle light..............
Don't be afraid, you will sit from dark to dark very comfortably, no fidgeting, be able to snooze when you want, no dreaded hip pinch, no back aches, you can shoot 360° around the tree with any weapon, bow or gun.
No platform required, only a ROS, no sore feet, no knee pads required, no sore knees, no tired legs from leaning as you can sit all day, built in pack frame for carrying all your needs. No getting into “saddle shape” as your Lazy Boy at home does it for you. Buy once, cry once.
Come to the light, the JX3 light...........

I’ve only ever used a recon. I always keep the middle straps overlapped. I don’t like having the panels separated. I snipped the threads holding the straps together where they pass through the plates so all the straps can adjust independently. I ran several pieces of shock cord around the middle overlapping straps on the saddle to keep everything organized. It ended up as essentially a single panel saddle made up of 3 straps that can all adjust independently. It works perfect for me and I’ve used it for years. Bear in mind if you were to do this it will no longer work as a classic 2 panel style saddle. And will have no resale value I expect.

Well I’m back at it and I moved the position of the tether down a little…seems to help a bit.

c4a718068ba34f0e92fc42c3572ed514.jpg

The Recon works best with a low tether.
And you didn't mention some details. Are you primarily a leaner or a sitter?
What is your bridge length?
What exactly type of back pain? Low back, mid back? Is it muscular pain?

I’ve only ever used a recon. I always keep the middle straps overlapped. I don’t like having the panels separated. I snipped the threads holding the straps together where they pass through the plates so all the straps can adjust independently. I ran several pieces of shock cord around the middle overlapping straps on the saddle to keep everything organized. It ended up as essentially a single panel saddle made up of 3 straps that can all adjust independently. It works perfect for me and I’ve used it for years. Bear in mind if you were to do this it will no longer work as a classic 2 panel style saddle. And will have no resale value I expect.
For years, I preferred being able to adjust the 2 sections up, or down, independently or overlapping. During an all day 12 hour hang I did need to make some adjustments every few hours.
But in the last couple years I've found that I like the 2 sections almost overlapping like you described.
That's one of the advantages to the Recon...2 independent panels allow for a lot of adjustment and fine tuning.

For years, I preferred being able to adjust the 2 sections up, or down, independently or overlapping. During an all day 12 hour hang I did need to make some adjustments every few hours.
But in the last couple years I've found that I like the 2 sections almost overlapping like you described.
That's one of the advantages to the Recon...2 independent panels allow for a lot of adjustment and fine tuning.
Agreed. The hard part about figuring out saddles is that everyone’s back is different so you can’t necessarily just copy other people.

The Recon works best with a low tether.
And you didn't mention some details. Are you primarily a leaner or a sitter?
What is your bridge length?
What exactly type of back pain? Low back, mid back? Is it muscular pain?

I will alternate between leaning and sitting. 60% leaning 40% sitting. Bridge goes from hip area to just below my chin…I feel like it’s pretty long. And the back pain is lower back pain, where the lumbar vertebrae meet the pelvis.

I will alternate between leaning and sitting. 60% leaning 40% sitting. Bridge goes from hip area to just below my chin…I feel like it’s pretty long. And the back pain is lower back pain, where the lumbar vertebrae meet the pelvis.

I had the same issue, a saddle with a bigger seat will help support more and help alleviate the lower back pain.
You could always try tightening your bridge a bit to act like a weight belt and wear the upper panel as such. I could never get the Recon dialed in even though I wanted to.

It's a pretty established fact that saddle comfort is highly individual. What works for me may not work for the next guy.
My advice is to tinker with stuff. Try shortening your bridge, lower your tether. Adjust the panel position. All this stuff is dynamic so one change can effect another change. And you'd be surprised at how a seemingly insignificant adjustment can make big differences.
One tip on dealing with your lower back pain is to exercise some pelvic tilting while in the sling. Do that in the leaning position. Sometimes my back wil start feeling a little cranky after sitting in a immobile position for a while. A few minutes of pelvic tilting usually fixes it quickly. I'll actually feel a warm sensation flooding into my lower body and legs.
Another question...
Platform or ROS? If a platform, how do you have it set? Perfectly level or tilting slightly away from the tree? Any extra steps on your strap?

Another factor I think people overlook for being comfortable is being able to widen your stance on a ros vs just using a platform. I use a platform and 3 steps on a separate ocb strap. They both have their advantages for different shot opportunities as well.

I wanted to love my recon. I think if i had the bigger size i would. Always feelsclike the straps are too short, fighting for my buttock real estate. Im 5’10” and 190. The larger size waist belt would be too big so it woulda been a tradeoff. Im loving my classic 2. Finally found something i dont have to adjust

Back