• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Tree Saddle Hunter Magazine………

Fl Canopy Stalker

Vendor Rep
SH Member
Feb 4, 2021
So guys, I realize with media being so readily available via the internet, that newspapers, magazines and even books have become much less of a presence for information and reading….. but I’m just curious if anyone still subscribes, or buys and reads magazines such as Bowhunter Magazine, or their states “Sportsman” magazines ect….?
If there was a magazine that was going to be dedicated specifically to Saddle Hunting, would you buy it or read it? And if you did, are there any specific saddle hunters you’d like to see featured in the future? Maybe a spread on our very own influential site creator @redsquirrel, Bobby Boswell, or the likes? I believe it’s a complete given that John Eberhart will get plenty of press.
I’m asking because such a magazine will be coming out soon. (August is the initial launch). We were approached about ad space and possible article/ideas later down the line. I’d like to have input from newer guys on here, but especially the hard core guys that have been saddle hunting before it was popular. I’m afraid that a main stream style hunting magazine is gonna have way too many Facebook or you tube presence “mainstream” guys who don’t fully know or appreciate the history, origin of ideas, or have knowledge of how influential this site truly is. Facebook groups and saddle companies have kind of masked this site from people (including the patent office apparently lol). If I ever make suggestions or run an article, I want people to know about this site’s role in making the modern saddle hunting frenzy what it is today; and I can’t effectively do that without your input. Thank you in advance.

gcr0003

SH Member
Nov 1, 2018
So guys, I realize with media being so readily available via the internet, that newspapers, magazines and even books have become much less of a presence for information and reading….. but I’m just curious if anyone still subscribes, or buys and reads magazines such as Bowhunter Magazine, or their states “Sportsman” magazines ect….?
If there was a magazine that was going to be dedicated specifically to Saddle Hunting, would you buy it or read it? And if you did, are there any specific saddle hunters you’d like to see featured in the future? Maybe a spread on our very own influential site creator @redsquirrel, Bobby Boswell, or the likes? I believe it’s a complete given that John Eberhart will get plenty of press.
I’m asking because such a magazine will be coming out soon. (August is the initial launch). We were approached about ad space and possible article/ideas later down the line. I’d like to have input from newer guys on here, but especially the hard core guys that have been saddle hunting before it was popular. I’m afraid that a main stream style hunting magazine is gonna have way too many Facebook or you tube presence “mainstream” guys who don’t fully know or appreciate the history, origin of ideas, or have knowledge of how influential this site truly is. Facebook groups and saddle companies have kind of masked this site from people (including the patent office apparently lol). If I ever make suggestions or run an article, I want people to know about this site’s role in making the modern saddle hunting frenzy what it is today; and I can’t effectively do that without your input. Thank you in advance.
What’s a magazine? Seriously though, I’m not sure how popular magazines are or will continue to be with modern advertisement and entertainment. I think the amount of people that still use magazines and news papers are likely low and a decreasing minority. Obviously best of luck to you if you decide to purchase advertisement space, but I can’t imagine there being a huge support for that.

A counter to my own point is that I truly enjoy looking through wespur and 3 rivers magazine catalogs. Something about the paper advertisement and looking through gear is more appealing than typing it in in a search bar and pulling the thing right up. Sometimes the pictures and details can be in better detail for the product as well. I wouldn’t pay for a catalog magazine but I’d happily flip through one if they send one to me yearly.

I was talking to a coworker who is big into bass fishing and he said while he doesn’t and wouldn’t purchase magazines he has had bass magazines sent to him as included in his membership to a bass fishing org or group. If this magazine you’re referencing was sent out for say being a paying member of SH.com once a year that would be neat, but i doubt it would be feasible without increasing costs and thereby just paying for the magazine outright.

Jammintree

SH Member
Jan 5, 2021
I have a subscription to Tradirional Bowhunter Magazine and would absolutely consider getting one to a saddle hunting oriented magazine. The content would need to be of the highest caliber and the number of advertisements be tasteful. There’s something nice and different about printed media. Some virtues I appreciate include: curated content, sizable pictures visible at the same time as the text, exposure to content I might not seek out, a non digital experience: the trouble I have with digital media is that there are too many distractions from the content. When you read a mag, it’s just you and the content. There’s no pop ups, no alerts About posts, no other icons to pull you away; there isn’t an endless chain of rabbit holes.

All that said, there’s only room in my life for so many mags. So the content has to be high caliber and new and exciting every issue. Traditional Bow Hunter magazine is a great example of print media that I intentionally support and for the aforementioned reasons.

Loopwing

SH Member
Mar 10, 2020
Virginia
I agree, I absolutely love flipping through flyfishing, fly tying, wood working magazines, BUT my phone gets the nod so much quicker and it is FREE. The next generation (16 yo nephew and my 9,7 yo daughters) want nothing at all to do with magazines. The other day I tried to give my nephew a $100 bill for some yard work he did. He asked me to just Zelle him. "No one uses paper anymore he said, everything is done on your phone".

I think a paper magazine is a way to make a small fortune out of a large fortune.

Halfstep

Mar 4, 2023
It's a difficult question to answer as it depends on the quality and content of the magazine. In the past, I would buy bow hunting magazines as a means to stay informed about new bows, new archery equipment and bow testing reports. As for reading content, most articles seemed too basic and didn't offer anything useful except for the beginner. A lot of the bow magazines today now have included x-bows and that doesn't interest me as much as compounds.

So, I would be interested in a saddle hunting magazine if first and foremost, it keeps the saddle hunter informed. It needs usable content about saddle hunting equipment and saddle hunting techniques. Plus, a "what's new" section to keep us updated on new saddle hunting equipment.

BTaylor

SH Member
Oct 23, 2019
Central Arkansas
To play off of @Halfstep above, I would be interested but think it might be best produced in a bi-monthly or quarterly format and focus on building out in-depth articles rather than a bunch of short or overly basic content. In this environment, it would need to be a high level publication for me to put ad money of any significance into it.

Loopwing

SH Member
Mar 10, 2020
Virginia
Or a magazine like "Swing the fly". I don't get it anymore, but was a faithful subscribed to that magazine. It was all next level all the way down to the paper it is printed on. I stopped throwing a spey rod as much, not much spey water in VA.

HuskerInIowa

SH Member
Aug 18, 2022
I would subscribe. Currently get a couple and still enjoy them. From a youth perspective my son reads what he can of mine and has his own subscriptions to a couple kids ones too but there is a chance that he grows out of that as he grows up and it’s also highly probable that reading is emphasized far more in my house than some others, no offense intended to anyone or their parenting styles intended.

Too many from this site to name that would make great contributors if they were interested. In my brief time here I’ve learned from or gotten ideas from a wider variety of people on a myriad of subjects from gear to tree size to tips for better form shooting than I could’ve possibly imagined when I signed up. Often I seem to gravitate toward the people that force me to ask better questions i.e. @BTaylor moments ago pointing out that I can’t be thinking about what broadhead I should buy until I ask myself what is important to me and I want the broadhead to do.

Loopwing

SH Member
Mar 10, 2020
Virginia
It is funny you say that about the reading in your house. My girls constantly have their noses in "chapter" books. For anyone with young kids, you know what a huge gigantic milestone "chapter" books are, lolololol. We got them subscriptions to Highlights and National Geographic Kids. They look at it for 5 minutes because they got mail, but that is it. They just don't dig the magazine aspect. It is just that next generation. Kind of like handheld GPS. yes there are still a few that use them, but it is usually a back up to phones.

Jammintree

SH Member
Jan 5, 2021
My step kids are 10 and 12 and actually prefer reading from paper. They get lost for hours reading books and magazines. If we don’t keep putting worthwhile content in print format I fear we may succumb to a pop-up ADD mentality that lacks the kind of focus that cultivates humans capable of complex thought and patience based acts, like say saddle hunting.

Jtaylor

SH Member
Dec 25, 2018
I still enjoy opening an actual magazine and not a digital version that makes me input a password, etc. You can't really replace the anticipation of looking forward to a new magazine volume in the mail by a digital version (especially when you need a quick grab after morning cofffee). :)

All this being said, I'd assume it would be hard to publish magazine nowadays without 90% of the pages being advertisement which I don't like.

I'm subscribed to a car magazine that gives subscribers premium content to events and special member builds and kind of "insider secrets" on builds that I enjoy and maybe something similar could or already is a consideration for a saddlehunter magazine.

On second thought, I'd also hate to see the free content here go away because now people are potentially getting paid to contribute their knowledge via a magazine.

Nutterbuster

SH Member
Oct 12, 2017
Where the skys are so blue!
I honestly don't know.

I like magazines. Increasingly I prefer to pay for what I read vs having "content" funded by companies shoveled to me. And I just took a job as managing editor for the outdoor rag I grew up reading, and am writing for another local environmental one.

But saddle hunting is really niche. I'd anticipate problems generating new content.

I'd buy the first publication.

cville_bowhunter

Jan 26, 2022
But saddle hunting is really niche. I'd anticipate problems generating new content.

I agree with this completely. Consequently, I feel like a saddle hunting magazine would quickly slip into an advertising pamphlet with little reading material.

@Fl Canopy Stalker what if you pitched a saddle hunting section or editorial to an already established hunting magazine/journal? I think that would be much more manageable and relieve the burden of trying to generate dozens of pages of content every few months.

Good luck with whatever you decide to run with!

Fl Canopy Stalker

Vendor Rep
SH Member
Feb 4, 2021
I agree with this completely. Consequently, I feel like a saddle hunting magazine would quickly slip into an advertising pamphlet with little reading material.

@Fl Canopy Stalker what if you pitched a saddle hunting section or editorial to an already established hunting magazine/journal? I think that would be much more manageable and relieve the burden of trying to generate dozens of pages of content every few months.

Good luck with whatever you decide to run with!
The saddle hunting magazine I am speaking about is the brainstorm from a larger company that already owns many large magazine publications (a couple of which have been mentioned by others) they are already running small sections and ads in their more established magazines, this one will be dedicated to all things saddle related. I’m more or less gauging if it would be beneficial to run an ad via print, and also trying to find out what types of content I could recommend to the editor outside of the traditional bs people plaster all over Facebook. I’ve seen guys that have way more experience and who are way more knowledgeable and talented on here than I have on the Facebook pages. This site is the OG so I value the opinions on here more than the masses of misinformed people I see on Facebook. Not all of them mind you, just more of them.

Last edited:

peteherbst

Dec 15, 2018
Jefferson County, Wisconsin
I still read outdoor magazines and really like Wisconsin Outdoor News newspaper. But I don’t subscribe to any. My father in law and his brothers all subscribe to different magazines and pass them down when they’re done. So I’m not helping the industry I guess.

Reactions: Fl Canopy Stalker

NMSbowhunter

SH Member
Jan 3, 2022
The saddle hunting magazine I am speaking about is the brainstorm from a larger company that already owns many large magazine publications (a couple of which have been mentioned by others) they are already running small sections and ads in their more established magazines, this one will be dedicated to all things saddle related. I’m more or less gaging if it would be beneficial to run an ad via print, and also trying to find out what types of content I could recommend to the editor outside of the traditional bs people plaster all over Facebook. I’ve seen guys that have way more experience and who are way more knowledgeable and talented on here than I have on the Facebook pages. This site is the OG so I value the opinions on here more than the masses of misinformed people I see on Facebook. Not all of them mind you, just more of them.
Why not see if they would be willing to pony up some ad space for you if you generate some worthwhile content? Win-win.

Fl Canopy Stalker

Vendor Rep
SH Member
Feb 4, 2021
Why not see if they would be willing to pony up some ad space for you if you generate some worthwhile content? Win-win.
I don’t consider myself worthwhile content. I’d be more interested in giving some insider knowledge geared more towards safety resources. And maybe some advice for people to “write about”… like these guys would be article worthy….. they offered me a fair price on a 1/2 page spread, so I’m definitely considering it