• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Tree Size/Tether Length

Matt G.

Hi Guys,

I ordered the 12 foot tether with my Kestrel. I'm starting to wonder if I need that much length. This also got my wondering if there's advantages or disadvantages to larger trees vs smaller trees. In other words, if I had to use anywhere near the full length of rope, would I not want to be in a tree that big anyways?

Should I cut my tether down to reduce weight and bulk?

The original intention of the 12’ tether was to wrap tree twice. Most guys only wrap once anyway so they would cut it down to reduce bulk.

With me about 8’-9’ would probably work 98% of time. There are a couple huge ancient live oaks that I’ll have to get creative with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The original intention of the 12’ tether was to wrap tree twice. Most guys only wrap once anyway so they would cut it down to reduce bulk.

With me about 8’-9’ would probably work 98% of time. There are a couple huge ancient live oaks that I’ll have to get creative with.

Agreed, 9’ is plenty. Also I really like smaller diameter trees than larger anyway now with a saddle setup.

I've actually been meaning to ask that question as well. I notice that in the Kestrel instructions it indicates that you should wrap the tether twice, but I also notice in most videos I watch gathering information, I rarely see the tether wrapped twice

I have my mind set on a tether that stretches to the ground in order to rappel down one day......but the training wheels are still firmly affixed, so that's down the road a ways

Back