• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Tree Step Straps

GeoFish

SH Member
I started climbing on tree steps in the 80’s using Deer Me Tree Steps.

Got into mobile hunting and tried various climbing methods. After using aiders for a couple years, I decided if I have a situation while climbing an aider would be involved. Wanting to ditch aiders but lighten my load, I have tried just about every tree step for climbing. All of these were tried with whoopie slings, daisy chains and straps.
Screenshot_20240317_131927_Gallery.jpg

The Apex steps with a daisy are not that great, I can’t seem to get them tight enough. With a strap they work. The Tree Hopper steps are my second choice but they weigh more and do not pack as well. In addition, the Apex steps are more comfortable, larger steps surface area and parallel to the ground. With the Tree Hopper steps my foot is standing on the outside edge of the step and are not very comfortable.
Screenshot_20240317_131936_Gallery.jpg

I had Jerry at CGM make me these tree step straps using the AustriAlpin frame buckles. Steps RTH weigh 6.5oz. These work almost as good as the buckle tree straps with the benefit of being able to attach to tree without threading a long strap through the buckle each time.
Screenshot_20240317_131655_Gallery.jpg

I may not use these to completely climb the tree, just to replace aiders, I will use 4 steps hung from ground and 3 to 4 sticks. Four steps and three Novix mini sticks come in at 6Lbs 2oz. I may run 6 steps and two stick on those long walks getting my weight down to 5lbs 7oz.

Last edited:
When you can, post a pic of the steps attached to a tree or even better a video of you attaching them. Thanks.

I plan on doing almost the same thing. Two novix mini’s with a single step aider and a couple of pioneer steps with the new cam buckle strap. They are not super solid but I’ll be using them as my first few steps off the ground. I can fit them easily in my CGM side pouches without taking up much room (2 each side). Not having to run the whole strap thru the buckle is nice.

When you can, post a pic of the steps attached to a tree or even better a video of you attaching them. Thanks.

In the first pick the strap is tight, but the step is not set or loaded.
Screenshot_20240318_141401_Gallery.jpg

Second pic, the step is loaded. Notice how the strap rides up the curved strap slot increasing the strap distance from the tree tightening the strap.
Screenshot_20240318_141417_Gallery.jpg

This is a Walnut tree and the steps have very little contact with the tree bark making the steps less stable.

Last edited:
In the first pick the strap is tight, but the step is not set or loaded.
View attachment 100950

Second pic, the step is loaded. Notice how the strap rides up the curved strap slot increasing the strap distance from the tree tightening the strap.
View attachment 100951

This is a Walnut tree and the steps have very little contact with the tree bark making the steps less stable.
Interesting. How do you put the two together and how difficult is it to loosen once it's loaded?

Very interesting. I climbed all last season with the daisy chain, frame buckle and pioneer steps.

Have you tried these straps with the pioneers? Didn’t know if the vertical only slot would change performance vs the arched design of the apex and/or silent approach.

I have tried all of the steps in the first picture (including Pioneer steps) all of them hinged no matter what method I tried attaching them, except the Tree Hopper and the Apex with strap. Hinging is when the step (at the attachment point pulls away from the tree.

I"m surprised more people don't use those Novix mini's. I have 2 sets that are modified to fold flat. I really don't see the need for double steps on a stick.
Did you counter sink the bolt so they fold flat?
Got a pic?

I"m surprised more people don't use those Novix mini's. I have 2 sets that are modified to fold flat. I really don't see the need for double steps on a stick.
I used to use the Novix minis and really liked them. LOVED the way they packed on the back of a pack. At the time I was too tempted with all the new (at the time) light weight double step sticks coming out so ended up butchering mine up turning them into double steps and then went on to other sticks that were new at the time. I really like double steps over anything else but part of me still misses those and wouldn’t hesitate to buy another set again.

I used to use the Novix minis and really liked them. LOVED the way they packed on the back of a pack. At the time I was too tempted with all the new (at the time) light weight double step sticks coming out so ended up butchering mine up turning them into double steps and then went on to other sticks that were new at the time. I really like double steps over anything else but part of me still misses those and wouldn’t hesitate to buy another set again.
I understand. I am eyeing those new Trophy Line sticks.

Back