• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Treehopper 20HC hand climber

Scott F

Anyone try Treehopper's hand climber 20HC yet?

Looks like a promising version of a LWHC to climb and potentially use as platform.

For ~$130 I may have to try it.

Sent from my SM-S102DL using Tapatalk

I was intrigued by one of the other ones, but not enough to pull the trigger. I'm referring to the 12L. It does not appear to fold all the way flat, but good size platform, maybe too big.

How much does the bottom of a small climber weight, that ones 8lbs

Good question and I have been looking for a small(ish) climber base for quite a while but the majority of new stands have large bases for facing away from the tree. If I could find an old 'rifle' climber with a super small base for facing the tree I would jump all over that. Hard for me to fathom that the saddle community is just now starting to get on board with that.

FWIW, weight is irrelevant to me to a point because any climber base will have a little weight so adding a couple pounds more is only a net yield of the difference in my eye so if a base was 7 lbs and another was 10 lbs the actual difference is only 3 lbs. I can carry that. I humped a heavy pack for the majority of my life in the Corps.

I am almost at my wits end trying to find a Tampa-based welder make me a tree lounge base identical to Mr. Price's. It is almost comical that I am trying to replicate "Mr. Price's" climber when you consider the LEAST EXPENSIVE quote I have so far is $350! I've watched plenty of YouTube welding videos lately...

I am asking about this Treehopper climbing things because it (or something similar) would likely be my ideal pine tree climber and I'd likely put a ROS on the tree when I got up top. In fact, call me silly but I would love to have a tree lounge base and a hand climber to ascend trees and still hang from a saddle. I used to all-but run up trees on my very old, Ol Man stand, but at 25+ lbs and a massive platform it is not too fun in the thick Florida swamps.

I want a small climber that is less than shoulder width even if it were made from solid iron. We all have compromises, that is mine.

*shamelessly asking for private messages on what YouTube welding instruction will not likely get me killed...

Red Beard if that shocks you, Mr. Price had a schematic of a scaled down "version 3.0" that he graciously shared. I printed it and gave that to a welding shop here in Tampa (one that had LOTS of good reviews) and expected it to be a fairly competitive price. I should post the reply I got - but it may make me sick again because I don't feel like shelling out "$800-1000"...

Harbor Freight 110V flux core welders are something like $120 w/ coupon. I may retire my lineman's belt and climb with a tether very soon.

Back