• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Triple Fishermans Knot for Bridge?

Thunder81

So I am making a bridge out of climbing rope for my Sit Drag. I just need a short one so I made a loop with a triple fishermans knot in it. This will be attached using carabiners on each side of the Sit Drag. So I can remove it or swing it to the side as needed. I will then have a carabiner on my tether to clip both sides of my loop in the middle. Does anyone see a problem with this as far as safety is concerned? I opted for the triple fishermans knot instead of tying in my bridge with the figure 8 on a bight because I think the triple fishermans will be stronger. Opinions?

What rope? 'Strength shouldn't be an issue. Clipping to a loop has potential for you to miss one side. It won't move as freely on the carabiner.

You can tie Figure 8 or just an overhand on a bight. Plenty strong and is an accepted standard for tied anchors in climbing

I can't remember the name but it is good quality 9mm static. It has been a while since I bought it. I am new to saddle hunting and I am over doing the safety. This is only until I get my Kestrel in, but I may change it to an overhand on a bight. Do you tie a safety stopper knot after your overhand on a bight? It just seems that it has potential to fail. Like I said I am new and just a little anxious. So until I get used to it, I will have to deal with redundancy on the safety.

No stopper needed. Just leave a tail. You can clearly inspect the knots which is why I like knots.

Kestrel uses 11mm rope, but 9mm static is plenty strong

Where the figure eight on a bight excels is the ease of adjusting the knot or untying it completely. Overhand on a bight is plenty strong just hard to untie. I removed the carabiner on my kestrel and tied it in with a overhand. I left the figure eight on the other end so I can play with the length until it is where I want it.

I just untied my carabiner on the kestrel after a hunt yesterday and had it tied on with an overhand. It is surprisingly easy to untie with the Predator rope. I like the Predator...it isn't as soft as Yale Bandit but easy to tie and untie and seems really durable.

Back