• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

triple or quadruple brummel lock for small amsteel loops that are not life support?

raisins

SH Member
I might want to place a small amsteel continuous loop at the top of my Tethrd One sticks to clip a DIY CAYG aider to.

I don't want to go to a long enough loop to meet the bury requirements for a traditional loop.

I was thinking I could end the loop with like 3 or 4 brummel locks, bury the little end piece, then melt the very end and super glue the very end so that the 2 pieces can't work themselves out (could also just whip the end).

This for an aider on a stick, so if it breaks, I'm not falling as I climb with lineman's lanyard and tether both at same time.

This is definitely off label, but doesn't seem any worse than trusting a double brummel lock to hold a stick or platform.

I'd probably use 1/8" diameter amsteel for this.

Thoughts?

How big a loop? This is roughly 5”.View attachment 77779

Little bit bigger around than a silver dollar. It will go through/around the One Stick top stand off, and then a small, wire gate carabiner (that is attached to my CAYG) will clip on that loop. Each stick has its own dedicated loop.

Little bit bigger around than a silver dollar. It will go through/around the One Stick top stand off, and then a small, wire gate carabiner (that is attached to my CAYG) will clip on that loop. Each stick has its own dedicated loop.

Can you go bigger & girth hitch the stand off to eat up real estate?

Can you go bigger & girth hitch the stand off to eat up real estate?

Good call on that. Without weighting it to get it settled, a paracord bull hitch of 9" length when doubled and tight (18" of exposed material) is about perfect. I hate doing full buries with 7/64 because I do it so rarely and don't have the best tools, so I'll order 4 of them once I'm 100% on my measurements and that my proposed CAYG aider system will work.

Back