• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Trying a saddle one more time

parkersdad

I’ve been saddle hunting on and off since 2006. Believe me I have owned a ton of them. Every time I end up selling because my knees and feet hurt. This time I bought the saddle that I like the best (Cruzr XC) and bought the Trophyline Mission platform. I think I end up getting out of it because I try to go minimalist. I want a platform I can stand up on and turn around and face away from the tree if need be. I’m willing to carry a little more weight in order to be able to stretch out. I’m also thinking I could just stand up and shoot the weak side if need be. Anyone else like a larger platform?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I’ve been saddle hunting on and off since 2006. Believe me I have owned a ton of them. Every time I end up selling because my knees and feet hurt. This time I bought the saddle that I like the best (Cruzr XC) and bought the Trophyline Mission platform. I think I end up getting out of it because I try to go minimalist. I want a platform I can stand up on and turn around and face away from the tree if need be. I’m willing to carry a little more weight in order to be able to stretch out. I’m also thinking I could just stand up and shoot the weak side if need be. Anyone else like a larger platform?

I love a large platform. I have tried ROS, small platform on top of stick, medium platform. But I go back to my LWCG Ambush from now on.

You should try a JX3 if you want to eliminate knee and feet issue completely.

Or try a hybrid LWCG .5 system. With a good strap system to carry it, it is very popular.

I love a large platform. I have tried ROS, small platform on top of stick, medium platform. But I go back to my LWCG Ambush from now on.

You should try a JX3 if you want to eliminate knee and feet issue completely.

Or try a hybrid LWCG .5 system. With a good strap system to carry it, it is very popular.

I own two JX3 Hybrid’s and love them. For short hunts I would rather have something a little smaller. Not interested in anything in Lone Wolf custom gear.

I own two JX3 Hybrid’s and love them. For short hunts I would rather have something a little smaller. Not interested in anything in Lone Wolf custom gear.

Then you might be the next customer for Arsenal's new platform. Check them out.

Then you might be the next customer for Arsenal's new platform. Check them out.

Thanks for the advice, but I already bought a mission. I still like the cast aluminum stuff from Novix – trophy line.

Mostly I just wanted to start the conversation of are you guys finding that you like bigger platforms especially for long hunts

Sorry, I misread it. I like the larger platforms 100% of the time. I have tried a bunch of options. The only one I still own is a mission and lock ons that I will climb with. I have never said "wow, I have too much platform", but I have said many times "this is just not enough of a sturdy platform". 5 minutes or 5 hours, uncomfortable is uncomfortable.

Sorry, I misread it. I like the larger platforms 100% of the time. I have tried a bunch of options. The only one I still own is a mission and lock ons that I will climb with. I have never said "wow, I have too much platform", but I have said many times "this is just not enough of a sturdy platform". 5 minutes or 5 hours, uncomfortable is uncomfortable.

That’s what I was looking for. I went minimalist in the past, so I’m hoping this time will be the last. I can usually sit for about two hours comfortably and then I need to stand up. On the small platforms I still had to lean. I would like to be able to put slack in my line and face the other way like you do in a regular lock on. That’s the reason I bought the mission.

I have taken plenty of shots on my 6, that quietly became my 12 or 9 and things quickly died! I am a leaner and will slack up the tether and spin all the way around no problem.

I have taken plenty of shots on my 6, that quietly became my 12 or 9 and things quickly died! I am a leaner and will slack up the tether and spin all the way around no problem.

That’s great. Thanks for the reply. That’s what I’m hoping I will be able to do. My last platform was too small to do that.

I mainly use my summit mini viper sd bottom with my saddle and it’s and awesome combo of both worlds. But also use JRB method on presets I set in trees I climb with the previous mentioned setup especially if it’s good sign.

I prefer a larger platform too and have some options, but it's hard to not grab the Lone Wolf Custom Gear .5. Weighs nearly the same as the Mission and even easier to maneuver on. Has a seat/knee rest built in. Carries well, pairing awesome with many sticks and supporting a small pack on the seat in frame mode. Great for strapping outerwear to.

Although a standard platform is better for walking the tree or leaning off of...however, were I comfortable with all that tree ninja stuff I'd probably just go with a smaller more packable and lightweight platform. I'm more confident with my archery form standing, so the bigger platforms appeal.

I also like my cut down LW Sit and Climb saddle platform. It's like 22" deep and 18" wide.

I prefer a larger platform too and have some options, but it's hard to not grab the Lone Wolf Custom Gear .5. Weighs nearly the same as the Mission and even easier to maneuver on. Has a seat/knee rest built in. Carries well, pairing awesome with many sticks and supporting a small pack on the seat in frame mode. Great for strapping outerwear to.

Although a standard platform is better for walking the tree or leaning off of...however, were I comfortable with all that tree ninja stuff I'd probably just go with a smaller more packable and lightweight platform. I'm more confident with my archery form standing, so the bigger platforms appeal.

I also like my cut down LW Sit and Climb saddle platform. It's like 22" deep and 18" wide.
Good to hear. I like the idea of Saddle hunting but could not get comfortable. Then I got to thinking, I did everything minimalist. I think if I have a big platform to stand on I will be OK.

Have you tried a Drey? I find it very comfortable; my weight is supported by the hammock and I don't notice any lower extremity discomfort.

Back