• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Turkey chair, seat pad, or butt on the ground?

DB4x4

Which do you prefer for spring gobbler, and why?

When bowhunting from a blind with a decoy setup on small private tracts to keep the birds on a normal pattern as much as possible I like the Waldrop Pac-Seat. Works perfect in a blind, light and you can pack quite a bit of weight with it or because it’s so light, you can strap it to a pack with all your other gear.

Run and Gun on public I like a small seat pad. This one is a Thermaseat I’ve had for years. This is my run and gun system this season. Sold my turkey vest last year and am trying the Marsupial Bird Bag system hoping it will double for saddle hunting to carry platform, sticks and layers. We shall see.

Attachments

• IMG_2802.jpeg
    IMG_2802.jpeg
    72.2 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_2787.jpeg
    IMG_2787.jpeg
    205.8 KB · Views: 63
I prefer a chair, but don't really like carrying it around with everything else. I put this bad boy together for this year and like it a lot. Super comfortable, light, and very adjustable. Not as fast as a butt pad, but still can get set up pretty quickly. Also can be flipped around to use as a storage shelf. Hauls a blind and chair comfortably too. If I want to leave the blind, still got my chair with me. Also added some quick clips to the top. Attached dome to the butt of my decoys so they just clip on back. Pretty cheap to make to boot!

Screenshot_20230506-060836_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20230506-060832_Gallery.jpg

IMG_4411.jpegI just started using these little low turkey chairs. Can’t believe I waited 30 years of sitting my a** on wet ground, tree roots and just being uncomfortable when having to sit for extended periods before I got one. Best thing I’ve ever bought.

Pad or butt on the ground. A pad seems to be good for heavy days… oh I mean sometimes i do feel like it keeps me too high to be able to rest my gun on my knees. I don’t wanna have to carry a chair. I like to be tucked into the cover as good as possible and I feel like that might be harder with a chair.

Pad or butt on the ground. A pad seems to be good for heavy days… oh I mean sometimes i do feel like it keeps me too high to be able to rest my gun on my knees. I don’t wanna have to carry a chair. I like to be tucked into the cover as good as possible and I feel like that might be harder with a chair.
Actually it’s easier to tuck into the thicker small stuff with turkey chair. Anything thigh high becomes cover. Doesn’t have to have a tree to lean against either. Clumps of grass or any bush. I’ll average 5-6 miles a day with my chair and not even think about it.

Actually it’s easier to tuck into the thicker small stuff with turkey chair. Anything thigh high becomes cover. Doesn’t have to have a tree to lean against either. Clumps of grass or any bush. I’ll average 5-6 miles a day with my chair and not even think about it.
Heck! Sounds nice. I’ve looked into them. My opinion doesn’t have experience so I’d be willing to try it. Rn my neck is jacked up(no biggy) just a pinched nerve I think. Had a couple times this year where leaning against a tree caused both arms to go numb. To the point of I couldn’t tell where my fingers where. So I had to move and let down. I bet a chair would have helped that a bunch. Mind u this movement was when a bird was coming in so I wasn’t too happy to have to move an inch

Depends on the weapon. Shotgun I mostly use the turkey vest pad to sit against a tree. Archery gear I tether in at ground level and hang behind a decent size tree. Pretty easy to walk around the tree to stay hid with both feet on the ground. There's also a sight line advantage to hanging in a close to standing position versus sitting. Because of this I almost always wear the saddle and carry a tether regardless of weapon because I hardly know they're there and it gives me the option of setting up that way even with the shotgun.

...easy for a younger guy to say...wait a few years until the arthritis starts creepin' in, then you'll appreciate a chair! ;)
That's for sure . . . one more advantage to tethering in at ground level. Getting up off my butt has become somewhat of a challenge at my age although it provides some entertainment for my daughter. :tearsofjoy:

What about for archery setups?
Anyone using anything comfortable getting a shot off with bow that doesn’t make you change positions too much for shot?

I find more value in knee pads or pants with knee pads like my mountain pants than a seat cushion. I will carry a small pad if it is really wet other wise just the mountain pants.

What about for archery setups?
Anyone using anything comfortable getting a shot off with bow that doesn’t make you change positions too much for shot?
Screenshot_20230508_112606_DuckDuckGo.jpg
I thought maybe something like this might work good. Simple. It would pack flat and probably not be crazy heavy. Definitely would want different angles, more upright I think. I thought it might be nice to be able to make the back skinny or cut out to make room for your draw arm. I thought about posting in the ground hunting thread too but didn't

Back