• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Twig stoves

I have a Jetboil too, but I really like my Evernew Ti Alcohol Stove DX set (Ti Dx Stand + Ti Stove) and Evernew mulTidish setup. I can use it for alcohol/HEET, wood/twigs, and solid fuel like Esbit. If I'm hunting local and/or just making a cup of coffee, I carry that setup and my Aeropress! I usually prefer carrying 4oz of HEET and a ExoTac sparker, but the multi-fuel aspect is nice!

I have a Jetboil too, but I really like my Evernew Ti Alcohol Stove DX set (Ti Dx Stand + Ti Stove) and Evernew mulTidish setup. I can use it for alcohol/HEET, wood/twigs, and solid fuel like Esbit. If I'm hunting local and/or just making a cup of coffee, I carry that setup and my Aeropress! I usually prefer carrying 4oz of HEET and a ExoTac sparker, but the multi-fuel aspect is nice!
I was drawn to the idea of the multi fuel capability aspect of the Firebox. I read some reviews on other brands but I really like how small and flat that the Firebox folds. If they came only in stainless, I don't think that I would have chosen it due to the weight. But the titanium model weight is acceptable to me.

I was drawn to the idea of the multi fuel capability aspect of the Firebox. I read some reviews on other brands but I really like how small and flat that the Firebox folds. If they came only in stainless, I don't think that I would have chosen it due to the weight. But the titanium model weight is acceptable to me.

Packability is not really the strong suit of mine lol, although it is fairly small and light. I usually pair with a Evernew Ti cup that the mulTidish fits on as a lid. I usually pack it for turkey hunting, fishing, scouting, hiking and quick overnight camping trips. I don't carry a stove often while deer hunting!

I carry a small, cheap twig stove in my steelhead pack. The CO's tend to dislike open fires on the riverbank but (so far) they have not had a problem with the twig stove. Great handwarmer fire but I have never really cooked with it.

I used one backpacking for two trips to boil water for meals. I liked the idea of not having to carry the weight of fuel and just using twigs and sticks where I was camping...until we went on the second trip and it had rained right before we got there. Everything was soaked and we went without a fire that first night. Maybe even the second night if I remember right.

I now have a jetboil too. I have a backpacking trip with my son planned for a couple weekends from now and that's what I'll be using. I need reliability when on the trail.

I used one backpacking for two trips to boil water for meals. I liked the idea of not having to carry the weight of fuel and just using twigs and sticks where I was camping...until we went on the second trip and it had rained right before we got there. Everything was soaked and we went without a fire that first night. Maybe even the second night if I remember right.

I now have a jetboil too. I have a backpacking trip with my son planned for a couple weekends from now and that's what I'll be using. I need reliability when on the trail.
I plan to carry a back-up fuel, most likely a small baggie of pellets or the Trangia burner that comes with the Firebox. I'll be able to make fire/heat/cook in wet conditions That entire kit will weigh less and pack better than my MSR XGK, and it will be far less prone for any sort of failure. My MSR is a very reliable stove, but it does have parts, pump, plastics, etc, so there is an element of possible failure.
Being able to start fire in wet conditions is a required skill for back country travel. Can't rely on any sort of mechanical stove. your life could depend on it.

I plan to carry a back-up fuel, most likely a small baggie of pellets or the Trangia burner that comes with the Firebox. I'll be able to make fire/heat/cook in wet conditions That entire kit will weigh less and pack better than my MSR XGK, and it will be far less prone for any sort of failure. My MSR is a very reliable stove, but it does have parts, pump, plastics, etc, so there is an element of possible failure.
Being able to start fire in wet conditions is a required skill for back country travel. Can't rely on any sort of mechanical stove. your life could depend on it.

I'll always have my emergency backup/repair/survival mini-kit that stays with me at all times. And yes, the knowledge, in a practical/practiced aspect is not able to be substituted... A good lighter, a small ferro rod or sparker, and a few fire-starter plugs could go a long way in an emergency. The ability to find "dry" burnable wood is another skill in and of itself.

I'll always have my emergency backup/repair/survival mini-kit that stays with me at all times. And yes, the knowledge, in a practical/practiced aspect is not able to be substituted... A good lighter, a small ferro rod or sparker, and a few fire-starter plugs could go a long way in an emergency. The ability to find "dry" burnable wood is another skill in and of itself.
Most definitely!
And once you get that initial fire going, there is no excuse for not preparing dry tinder for the next fire, or even transport coals.

Agreed. I carry a small baggie of birthday cake candles in a vac sealed bag to help get wet tinder going (just something really light to stay lit and they can be reusable). My main stove is a MSR pocket rocket. Having that instant, easy fire is a camp-mood game changer IMO when everything is wet.

My only hesitancy on the firebox stove is the rack that you have to constantly feed it with twigs to maintain enough heat to cook over or boil. It doesn’t appear like there is a sufficient way to feed to the stove without removing your pot or pan. I could imagine that being annoying. Anyone have thoughts or experience with what I’m trying to describe? I like making fires at camp so I do want to lean toward wood fire or campfire cooking.

Are any of the off brand Amazon things worth the money like the pocket rocket?

My only hesitancy on the firebox stove is the rack that you have to constantly feed it with twigs to maintain enough heat to cook over or boil. It doesn’t appear like there is a sufficient way to feed to the stove without removing your pot or pan. I could imagine that being annoying. Anyone have thoughts or experience with what I’m trying to describe? I like making fires at camp so I do want to lean toward wood fire or campfire cooking.

I've never done it, but most you can feed from the bottom/side and keep pushing them in as they burn, but "sufficient" is undetermined...

I'm struggling to see the need for a stove to start a small cooking fire as opposed to just doing it somewhere on the ground?
I think the benefit of the boxes is it shields from wind as well as provides a surface to cook on. Campfire grates are cheaper but may not pack down as well or protect from wind. They serve the purpose of a containing a fire for cooking only. If you were going to make a campfire anyway it wouldn’t make as much sense to me. Someone correct me if I’m really off.

Last edited:
I'm struggling to see the need for a stove to start a small cooking fire as opposed to just doing it somewhere on the ground?
Those were my thoughts at first too but maybe they burn more efficiently. Another thought is they could be the difference between a contained vs. uncontained fire for areas in red flag droughts in the eyes of a ranger or something.

Back