• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Two Pa Big Woods Bucks Down

20ftup

I’ll start by saying neither are saddle kills but both were great hunts. First my buddy lost his leg in a motorcycle accident two years ago his prosthetic has been give him trouble so he only could walk 20 yards at a clip before taking a break then continuing. At 7:30 am Friday he was still working his way to his spot when a doe ran across the logging road in front of him, following her was a nice buck he pull up and shot. Realizing his shot was a little high he waited for my dad who already tagged his buck to follow up the track. Hour and a half later they jump the bedded buck but he only went 70 yard before bedding back up in sight. I’m buddy snuck up on him and finished him off. I was hunting a totally different area of public that morning with zero sightings or sign. My dad had told me about the sign they seen where my friends deer died. There was car hood size scrapes and torn up tree everywhere in a swampy bottom. I went in Saturday morning to hunt over the fresh sign. It took me two hours to creep down a half mile to the area filled with
cc50f00880bf9cc1163e8a359071cb76.jpg
sign. I just got set up on the ground and saw a bear 100 yards off the way I walked in, as he walked off caught movement off too my right. It was two small bucks fighting. I thought the one was legal so I grunted a few times. The bigger of the two worked toward me. Then I seen two bigger deer coming from the same area work their way toward me. I waited patiently as they crossed the swap/ creek bottom till the bigger of the two step into an opening I had at 35 yards. The rest is history. Both bucks ended up field dressing at 170 . Both were shot on public land and made great memories at a camp with great people and good times. That’s 3 bucks and a doe for our camp in the Allegheny National Forest.
9fbe9b8bb0a1470f55d81599f9677721.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Two nice bucks for sure. Congrats to you and your hunting party!

Way to go. Gotta move in on fresh sign this time of year. You guys that hunt public land deserve a high five for any deer you are able to take in those high pressure areas. Nice job.

Back