• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Under Armor

blbloomquist

Has anyone tried the Under Armor scent control hunting suits? Do they compare to Scent Loc in the fight to keep your own scentvto a minimum?
Also do they keep you as warm without the bulk as they claim?

Under armor uses synthetic zeolite which does adsorb odors but not nearly to the degree that activated carbon (scentlok) does. In terms of raw performance zeolite on its own just doesn't even compare to activated carbon and its ability to adsorb odors. The scent control technology in under armor is virtually worthless in a real world hunting application.

That being said I think under armor makes good technical hunting clothing but the fit is just a tad too snug on my non-Adonis frame.

If it is warmth you are looking for there are other options for arguably a better price. I will say that it is hard to beat 100% polyester for warmth and moisture wicking capabilities in winter months, which UA clothing is predominately made of.

"Warmth without the bulk" is a marketing concept for synthetic fabrics. Yes some synthetic fabrics do have excellent insulating qualities - nothing that outperforms natural fabrics like wool - but it goes hand in hand with their moisture wicking capabilities and usually what is a wind proof membrane that accompanies the fabric. Primaloft is an example of a great synthetic fiber. When it is tightly knitted it can provide excellent insulating and moisture wicking qualities "without the bulk" of a comparable natural fabric like cotton, down, or even wool.

-Sent from d_mobile

I love my under armor as part of my scent control regimen. But I use it as a breathable under layer or 'walk-in' layer to keep me from sweating.
I'm not trusting it as my outer layer over activated carbon. But it is great for what I use it for. By the way, get it at TJ Maxx or Marshall's. Long sleeve camo prints for $20 vs $40. I'm sure there is a stitch out of place somewhere but I'm funny looking no matter what I wear...

Back