• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Unorthadox fixed teather.

musky19

Been a follower of site for several years,only contributed info once or twice. Im considering ordering
A length of predator with a 5" spliced eye on one end and a tight eye on the other. The five in would
Work as i girth hitched the tree the tight eye would connect to a biner that clips my bridge. No easy adjustability but also no weaker connection points and only one metal biner. Thoughts, or has anyone already tried this. Thanks

I’m new but this opinion is free. If I understand, your only adjustment would be to move the tether up or down? I don’t think I would like that if that’s what you mean. BUT I have not tried it

Like the idea from strictly a safety point of view, 1 less thing to go wrong is always a good thing ... The issue your gonna run into is finding the perfect tree everytime which is the reason I chose to get away from climbing tree stands, that perfect tree could be right on the deer trail or it could be 500 yards away.

You can still use the rope but use it a bit differently, use a standard friction hitch then attach the small eye to a rock climbing harness or maybe even a secondary bridge depending on your saddle setup, if for some reason your friction hitch fails you would fall to the end of your tether and be cought.

Im not sure if its necessary if your using properly rated ropes and your inspecting everything properly before every hunt but if it gives you the peace of mind in the tree that's all that matters.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Personally, I would just get both ends spliced, use a friction hitch, and clip the second loop into my saddle. If I wanted to go that route.

If you hunt from a Guidos web/JX3 type harness or just prefer to sit versus lean I don’t see why the length would be an issue. You can adjust tether height or double wrap the tether on smaller trees. The only question is if you can get comfortable with the limited length options as a leaner or maybe just spend more time standing vertical on your platform/ROS/top stick whatever method you use. Be safe and Monitor any slack you develop from position changes .You don’t want too much slack in case of a fall.

If you hunt from a Guidos web/JX3 type harness or just prefer to sit versus lean I don’t see why the length would be an issue. You can adjust tether height or double wrap the tether on smaller trees. The only question is if you can get comfortable with the limited length options as a leaner or maybe just spend more time standing vertical on your platform/ROS/top stick whatever method you use. Be safe and Monitor any slack you develop from position changes .You don’t want too much slack in case of a fall.
Tether height matters a lot for sitting comfort and maneuverability, and last year i hunted trees from 4 in to 2 ft diameter. That's a lot of looping! Maybe with a jx3/guido/preacher seat, but it just doesn't seem like you gain anything for what you give up.

You really want some adjustability there. You will find a sweet spot for what works for you. Get the tether too high and your bridge loops dig into your hips/love handles. Too low and it puts a lot more pressure on your knees should you decide to sit. Also the higher your tether the more your bridge is in the way of shooting a bow. It could definitely be made to work. I think in the end you will find out what is comfortable for you and start seeking out those perfect sized trees that will be more comfortable for your fixed tether length. Then you will realize that it is taking away the versatility that you sought when switching to a saddle. My tether is also a linesmans belt when going around limbs. There are just too many good things about an adjustable tether to go fixed.

Back