• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Using a ratchet for your steps.

Cajunshooter

Guys we’ve had a discussion about the best means of strapping your steps to a tree. I was using an over center buckle because it seemed to be the best low noise option. I was never really satisfied with it’s stability nor trying to figure out exactly how tight to get the strap before locking the buckle down.

I’ve now decided to go with a ratchet with a rubber coated handle and I’ve figured out how to strap it down extremely tight without making any more noise than a OCB.

Here’s a little video of how I do it. You will hear a little noise but the majority it just the crunching sound from the strap. Also I didn’t really take it as slow and careful here as I do in a tree.

Enjoy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Guys we’ve had a discussion about the best means of strapping your steps to a tree. I was using an over center buckle because it seemed to be the best low noise option. I was never really satisfied with it’s stability nor trying to figure out exactly how tight to get the strap before locking the buckle down.

I’ve now decided to go with a ratchet with a rubber coated handle and I’ve figured out how to strap it down extremely tight without making any more noise than a OCB.

Here’s a little video of how I do it. You will hear a little noise but the majority it just the crunching sound from the strap. Also I didn’t really take it as slow and careful here as I do in a tree.

Enjoy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That's how I have always done mine works great, never bought a OCB cause I was always satisfied with how tight the ratchet got.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I have used a ratchet, and agree that they can be used quietly. But red's little ocb is just so light and fast. I just got back from a hunt, and I had my ring of steps cinched around a bay tree tight in no time at all.

I know some guys have talked about not being able to get it tight or breaking the buckle, but that definitely isn't my personal experience. I pull the strap tight and mash the lever down with the palm of my hand, using a good little bit of body weight. I use the tail end of the strap to cushion the buckle when it breaks over, and it is noiseless that way. When it's time to go, I use the tail end to leverage the buckle back up.

A huge part of getting a ROS tight is the strap itself. A heavy duty POLYESTER strap won't stretch on you. A cheap strap will stretch, and you'll never get the thing tight, no matter what buckle you use.

Definitely a good video. For those just starting out, a ratchet might be easier to get a hold of than an ocb. Just be sure to get a good one. I folded the handle over on one trying to get it tight one morning.

Edit: I also really like the idea of using the buckle as a "step." Helps offset the weight difference, and eliminates the "deadzone" that's usually caused by the buckle. You've definitely given me something to think about.

Back