• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Using a Running Bowline Instead of a Quick Link

yoda4x4

So I was watching a recent YouTube video by Jason @Traditional Bowhunting and Wilderness Podcast where he talks about eliminating the quick link and using a running bowline on his tether. His reasoning was because the quick link tends to slide down the tree due to its weight; I couldn't agree more that quick links have been an issue for me. Had anyone switched to a running bowline for their rappel rope when ascending the tree? How about rappelling down? Thoughts?

David

Sent from my moto g power (2022) using Tapatalk

I haven’t used a running bowline but do use a JRB Maverick hitch. I’ve switched to that over a quick link and have been very happy with the results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven’t used a running bowline but do use a JRB Maverick hitch. I’ve switched to that over a quick link and have been very happy with the results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That looks pretty cool. I actually went and tied this hitch several times and it's pretty easy to do. I'll keep tying it to gain proficiency at it.

David

So I was watching a recent YouTube video by Jason @Traditional Bowhunting and Wilderness Podcast where he talks about eliminating the quick link and using a running bowline on his tether. His reasoning was because the quick link tends to slide down the tree due to its weight; I couldn't agree more that quick links have been an issue for me. Had anyone switched to a running bowline for their rappel rope when ascending the tree? How about rappelling down? Thoughts?

David

I initially ran into the same issue. I 3d printed a "clip" that would hold it in place, and later the Innovating Outdoors Ohm came out (the flexible one) and I switched to that. I've been pretty happy with it so far since it serves a couple of purposes.
I'm going to watch the Maverick Hitch video though - I'm always looking to try new and better things!

I initially ran into the same issue. I 3d printed a "clip" that would hold it in place, and later the Innovating Outdoors Ohm came out (the flexible one) and I switched to that. I've been pretty happy with it so far since it serves a couple of purposes.
I'm going to watch the Maverick Hitch video though - I'm always looking to try new and better things!
I already have their tether locker and quite honestly, it doesn't work well for me. I need something better.

David

I already have their tether locker and quite honestly, it doesn't work well for me. I need something better.

David

I haven't tried the g3d one yet, I did buy one though. I could take a picture if you'd like. db4x4 uses a chip clip, or maybe one of the black spring clips for paper work would be something to try

I haven't tried the g3d one yet, I did buy one though. I could take a picture if you'd like. db4x4 uses a chip clip, or maybe one of the black spring clips for paper work would be something to try
Thanks for the offer. At this point, I don't want to buy yet another add on to use when it appears that the rope can be tied in a manner that holds itself like I'd want it to do.

David

Back