• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Using linesman as back up tether?

Jrain904

SH Member
I’m trying to have some sort of back up system in place just in case my tether or bridge fail. I think I read on here once that someone used their linesman as a secondary tether placed low on the tree and then hooked up to one of their linesman’s loops. Anyone doing this? Anything as simple as this that may be better? Thanks!

I’m trying to have some sort of back up system in place just in case my tether or bridge fail. I think I read on here once that someone used their linesman as a secondary tether placed low on the tree and then hooked up to one of their linesman’s loops. Anyone doing this? Anything as simple as this that may be better? Thanks!

I do this. My lineman's lanyard has carabiners on each side. When at height, I retrieve a 3 foot long nylon, circular climbing sling. I girth hitch this onto my saddle belt away from the buckle (off to my right). At this point, I have my tether and lineman's lanyard on as usual but standing on platform. I then put my lineman's around the tree by a girth hitch using the carabiner furthest from my adjustment side of the lineman's. I have a nite ize gear tie I use to keep this tight on the tree, despite there being slack. I then clip the other side of the lineman's to the end of that nylon sling and adjust it so there is enough slack that the backup never gets tight in normal use.

If you really want to go overboard......I rarely use this but have riggers belts I made out of climb spec tubular webbing and cobra buckles. You can have these on as a regular belt through your belt loops or put it on around your waist at height. You can girth hitch the nylon sling around both this belt and your saddle belt.

At that point, it would take a 50 cal to knock you out of the tree or maybe lightning.

Just always attend to the number one reason people fall: carelessness. And don't let the added complexity cause you to not act carefully and the backup is no excuse to take any additional risk.

Call me crazy but usually I’m in a JX3 and usually I also have an RC harness on, with lineman’s as second tether and a screamer in between. Once that’s set up I’m a lot more relaxed.

Back