• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Venison Honey BBQ Snack Sticks

IndyBowhunter

We ate through last year's buck slower than normal, so I was coming into this season with less freezer space than I usually would see in October. Once I shot my first doe this season on Oct. 7, I knew I needed to form a game plan for converting some of our excess meat into an irresistible, Easy to share form.

After reading multiple great reviews over the years, I decided to try my hand at Venison Honey BBQ Snack Sticks, using seasoning and casings purchased from Owens BBQ online. I purchased their mix to make a 25lb batch, and set to work this weekend. The results were absolutely incredible, and I can say I've never seen my wife and kids take to a venison product this well.

For the nitty gritty, I made my batch using 20lbs ground venison and 5lbs of beef brisket trimmings for fat, mixed with the Owen's Honey BBQ mix according to their directions, and then stuffed into 19mm mahogany collagen casings. I then smoked the stuffed casings in my Masterbuilt electric smoker over the course of about 5 hours (once again following Owen's recipe for time and temps), and it took 3 batches to cook all 25lbs die to the limited shelf soace in the smoker.

Learnings
- These are very good, but I'd like to add a spicy component to them to balance the sweetness a bit (I tend to eat very spicy food), but I think I'll always have to make these sweet ones for the family.
- My 5lb manual sausage stuffer makes for SLOW work filling thin casings in a batch this size.
- a 25lb batch takes multiple batches (3) in the MES. Strengthens my case for a big new pellet smoker. Screenshot_20231025_111135_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20231025_111204_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20231025_111155_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20231025_111143_Gallery.jpg

I did 10lbs of meat sticks and a couple lbs of whole meat jerky in my pellet grill during Saturdays rain. It all came out excellent, if you need some help with the pellet grill justification. :wink:

The honey recipe sounds great. I think you are on to something with the spice. I make my own hot honey bbq sauce so I may have to give that a try.

Nice. I just bought some of the bearded butcher Cajun seasoning and some high temp cheddar, planning to make myself some one of these upcoming sundays

Just to follow-up, I've taken a pound of these to work and a pound to our church small group and people are raving about them. Several folks who eat basically zero wild game tried them, and everyone couldn't get over how good they are.

Definitely recommend the Owens BBQ mixes from this experience and the raving reviews I had read previously. The guys I talked to with similar taste to mine all agreed some spice would be a welcome addition, so I believe next time I make snack sticks, I will do half traditional recipe and half with Jalapeno or Habenero and/ or Pepper Jack hi-temp cheese.

I still have casings and seasonings to do a 25lb summer sausage batch (also from Owens), so that will probably be the only other sausage making I do this season.

Back