• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Waterfowl down

cb750

For those that hunt waterfowl do you save the down?
I realize that this is entirely unrelated to most of what this site is about save that some people waterfowl hunt from a saddle ( @Nutterbuster ) and that there is a strong DIY culture here.

Plucking a goose yesterday and I could see that down going to waste. It bothered me and I know I want a new puffy jacket or maybe DIY foot warmer over boots in the stand. So i got to googling. I found a number of DIY down filled projects but they all used purchased down. I would like to use harvested down from the birds I shoot. I assume there must be a way to wash it and to deal with the "pricky?" parts.
Anyone have any ideas/experience?

I killed a snow goose last year and it seemed like I filled a leaf bag with feathers plucking that dang thing. The woodies I usually shoot don't have a lot of down though. If you figure it out let me know and I'll start hunting more gooses to murder.

Lol. With any luck I'll be doing well here.

@Nutterbuster here ya go. Ain't much but this is my first year. As nd Im s guest thete so I add m treafing lightly. Now the corn is off I suspect I will get more. Over a hundred on the pond today. Just couldn't get out. Some job thing keeps taking my time.
Resized_20181006_083729_2138.jpg20181203_122043.jpg

Back