• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

What? A Job Opportunity With Drone Deer Recovery?

How much is your own hunting season worth to you? Tracking everyone else’s deer might pay well, but when would you hunt? Many of us have built lives such that we work hard in the off season but have lots of time and flexibility to scout when it’s needed. And come hunting season, I want the coffers full so that I can hunt as much as possible while my tag is valid. The last thing I want is to spend October, November and December chasing wounded deer and bad shots made at someone else’s hand.

Am I the only one that can't stand the fact that his channel is just showing people how effective a camera is to scout/poach/trespass. I know what he's doing is legal but it just feels like there's going to be drones everywhere in a couple years. Don't get me wrong I think it's fine for what he is using it for but you know it's going to get abused and he's just showing exactly how to do it. I know it shouldn't bother me I'm just a grumpy dude that needs to mind my own business...

Am I the only one that can't stand the fact that his channel is just showing people how effective a camera is to scout/poach/trespass. I know what he's doing is legal but it just feels like there's going to be drones everywhere in a couple years. Don't get me wrong I think it's fine for what he is using it for but you know it's going to get abused and he's just showing exactly how to do it. I know it shouldn't bother me I'm just a grumpy dude that needs to mind my own business...
I couldn’t agree more. At some point he brags about his millionaire client, who he trained in using a thermal drone. And now the guy monitors “his deer” from the couch.

Maybe suggest it
How much is your own hunting season worth to you? Tracking everyone else’s deer might pay well, but when would you hunt? Many of us have built lives such that we work hard in the off season but have lots of time and flexibility to scout when it’s needed. And come hunting season, I want the coffers full so that I can hunt as much as possible while my tag is valid. The last thing I want is to spend October, November and December chasing wounded deer and bad shots made at someone else’s hand.
You're right. Maybe suggest it to your wife for a possible career choice.:p

Scouting with a drone is illegal in some states. It is in Wisconsin where I live but I'm sure people do it any ways. Haven't watched the video yet but will.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Everyone has their own line in the sand when it comes to 'hunting' and the level of technology. I joke about using drone for presetting paracords for SRT, but I think drone might be my line. Soon we'll have armed drones that you can control remotely from your cough to hunt. Or remote turrets that setup next to cell cameras. Tech is already there, just a little expensive. But the day that it become cheap enough for most of us is not that far off. I can already see drones armed with dartgun filled with PODS within my lifetime.

The irony are a few of the goals of hunting is getting meat cheaper, getting outdoor, and enjoying nature. Spending 10k for remote capabilities negate all the purpose of hunting.

I'd say that would be a cool job if I wanted to spend my nights looking for someone else' deer. It's just another area of high tech creeping into our sport, whether we like it or not. I guess I'm old school but I didn't like the compound allowed into our bow season, the crossbow the same, the trail camera, the cellular trail cam, and now the drone. I'll continue to hunt the way I want and to each his own. It's pretty pricey too. $450 to come to you, $100 if located, plus mileage from Dover over 60 miles.

Scouting with a drone is illegal in some states. It is in Wisconsin where I live but I'm sure people do it any ways. Haven't watched the video yet but will.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
Some of his other videos are more exemplary of his process.

Some Southern folk are still posting in "Live from the Saddle" and were talking about rut not too long ago, January.

I couldn’t agree more. At some point he brags about his millionaire client, who he trained in using a thermal drone. And now the guy monitors “his deer” from the couch.
Deer farming aka Deer raising..

A company that just sells drone deer recovery services alone would be a tough go. I'm guessing he does other work with them as well.

I'm not opposed to using drones for recovering deer and I don't like legislating away the good to avoid the bad. Pretty tough to justify most of our freedoms if we would prefer to live in that context.

If you mean a basic video drone, I don't think that will be the case. Consumer level drones have been available for 10+ years now with 5+ mi capability and HD video. All for attainable prices. I don't see the proliferation of them.

Thermal drones like that would be really cool. I'd be interested in just flying one around and seeing what's around (not just for hunting scouting, but seeing a 'live' version of google satellite view), especially at night. However, you're well into the 5-figures to buy one. I don't see many people coughing up that much money for something that would just be 'really cool to try out'.

thanks,
rick

A company that just sells drone deer recovery services alone would be a tough go. I'm guessing he does other work with them as well.

I'm not opposed to using drones for recovering deer and I don't like legislating away the good to avoid the bad. Pretty tough to justify most of our freedoms if we would prefer to live in that context.

According to his youtube page (I stumbled on it a couple weeks ago), he also does aerial surveys (like deer population surveys) and missing dog searches.

All potential illegal misuse of the tech aside, the idea of drones identifying many of the dead unrecovered animals that would have otherwise just gone to waste, across the countryside… is pretty cool IMO. It’s kinda crazy, it’s not a few it’s the LARGE MAJORITY of shot animals can at least be found, dead or alive.

Back