• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

What am I doing wrong with Wild Edge Platform

Zddog

Hey fellow saddle hunters.

So I went back out and used the Wild Edge Stepps again this weekend. I had issues with my steps uncamming themselves (some not all) the last time I was out and I have to assume the ones that uncammed themselves were probably not knotted correctly. Even if they uncamm they arent going to slide down the tree and are still incredibly strong when standing on them uncammed.

That being said I'm still having issues with making them into a platform.

My main issue is the step kicking out on the sides.

I've watched everyone of Wild Edge's videos and read a ton of post on here and everyone stays they don't kick out so what am I doing wrong. I know it's something I have to be doing wrong and not the stepp itself because they are made incredibly strong. Still getting used to the climbing with them but I'm getting better (still can only tie the original knot and not the second knot) i think I'll keep on liking them each time im out but still need some coaching on here.

I had an issue with one of my steps kicking out. After looking a little closer one of the stand offs were bent. I straightened it back out and it has been rock solid every since. Im not sure if I did it trying to cam it over too tight or if I purchaseed it(used) that way. Might be worth checking out.

There is a video where @Peterk1234 denonstrates how he sets up a platform. In it he makes a comment about threading the rope for the second step... this is very useful. As he notes, the WE fellas do this but they gloss over it.

I finally did the prestretch of the ropes. I think that improved my performance. I also find the second knot helps me get the stepp on better, YMMV.

Here is Pete’s video:

Set one up in a tree in you yard and send us all a couple pictures from different angles. I’m willing to bet someone will be able to spot the issue. My first thought is the ropes are going over the standoffs like was said previous. It either that or your standoffs aren’t above the rope around the tree. Went set properly they will not uncam or kick out. A pic of one after you set it up will help a lot though.

Hey Zddog - when you say they're kicking out on the sides, do you mean that when you stand on one side it slips down the tree a bit? This was happening to me a bit when practicing with the kn/sw. I simply was not getting it tight enough - it has to be hard to push down into the cammed/locked position. I learned that it was easier to start the "knot" too tight and add a little slack to it if I couldn't cam it than it was to start with it too loose and try to take up the slack. If when you cam it down it pops back up, then I found you have to move the standoffs up the tree a bit. When doing this it will sometimes slip back into the same dent i already made so I move the standoffs up and rotate the step left or right a bit and then cam it.

Bottom line, there is a sweet spot for perfectly solid steps and I am still figuring it out. Got to be hard to cam over but not uncam when you release it. That's what I have learned...

I believe its all about the height of the rope around the tree in relation to the step. That and as drew13 said, it should take some effort to cam it over. Ive never had a problem with one moving, but I can just tell when I cam one over that hey this isnt very solid, it was too easy to cam over. Also like him I find its faster to start with the rope too short and ease a little out and try again. Im not doing chin ups on the thing trying to cam it over, but its taking some effort.

Sometimes if it isn't set right the first try I move it up and cam it over again. After a while of using them, you get to "feel" the proper cam over and know when they are set properly. It just takes a lot of practice.

I agree that setting them tight and then loosening a smidge helps to get the right "feel" for the cam over. Once you get use to them, I think you will really like them.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Sometimes if it isn't set right the first try I move it up and cam it over again. After a while of using them, you get to "feel" the proper cam over and know when they are set properly. It just takes a lot of practice.

I agree that setting them tight and then loosening a smidge helps to get the right "feel" for the cam over. Once you get use to them, I think you will really like them.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Totally agree, I keep reading a lot of posts about uncamming or stepps moving. Keep working at it & get that perfect cam figured out ( I’m scared for you guys) when stepps are set correctly they are rock solid. So full disclosure I picked up a set earlier this year & climbed a bunch with them & just never really loved them as a climbing method. I sold them prematurely & regretted it. I picked up a few the other day & used 2 in conjunction with the top of my stick for a platform. It was great!! Looking forward to getting more comfortable with them. But rock solid & set quickly.

I just started using WE stepps this season. I still have not figure out the perfect cam on first try, but I don't think you will hit it first try every time. The trick is to take your time. I sometimes adjust the rope tension 3 or 4 times, maybe more, when trying to get them to cam over. Once you have it right, there is no guessing, it is solid. I use 3 of them as my platform and even with side pressure they do not move if set correctly. Just keep practicing and your confidence will build with use.

I appreciate everyone's help that is why i love this forum. I'll try to snap some pics next time im out of the platform. I used to tie it so tight I coulnd't cam it over then started cam it over not as tight so maybe that has something to do with them kicking out.

Drew13 yes when I talk about kicking out I mean them sliding down on one side of the step which makes it feel like if you stand on that side of the step they will eventually give way.

I had difficulties with the steps from time to time as well. As others have stated making sure the rope is below the standoff is big, impossible to cam when its above. I don't think if you had the ropes and knot correct that there is such a thing as too tight. You could get it as tight as humanly possible, and they still cam down ok. The one time I thought the same thing, looked a little closer, and the rope ended up over the standoff when I I was tying the knot.

as @kenn1320 stated, step placement in relation to the rope around the tree is important. After you tie the knot, give the entire step a jerk up the tree. The points of the standoffs that will act as the fulcrum for the camming action must be above the rope. If not, you will not get reasonably past the break point of the cam. You want that step past the break point around the half way mark of the steps travel in the cam process. It should be pulling down towards the tree. After I have done it, I would always pull on the step as if I was going to uncam it, should be sufficient pressure holding it down.

As far as them loosening up on the tree, this happened to me several times. The steps were primarily designed for one step on the way up and one on the way down. When you use it as a platform, your constantly shifting weight on it back and forth, which can cause the standoffs to dig in further and loosen up. Especially on trees with soft bark (aspen), or large course bark that breaks off easy with movement (oaks)

The good thing is, if you have run the rope and knot correctly, even though they loosen up, they can not slip off with weight on top. The rope will turn into the supporting structure underneath the standoffs. Makes a guy uneasy on them when they move like that, and I wouldn't want to hunt a whole sit that way, but they wont fall out below you.

Last edited:
I had difficulties with the steps from time to time as well. As others have stated making sure the rope is below the standoff is big, impossible to cam when its above. I don't think if you had the ropes and knot correct that there is such a thing as too tight. You could get it as tight as humanly possible, and they still cam down ok. The one time I thought the same thing, looked a little closer, and the rope ended up over the standoff when I I was tying the knot.

as @kenn1320 stated, step placement in relation to the rope around the tree is important. After you tie the knot, give the entire step a jerk up the tree. The points of the standoffs that will act as the fulcrum for the camming action must be above the rope. If not, you will not get reasonably past the break point of the cam. You want that step past the break point around the half way mark of the steps travel in the cam process. It should be pulling down towards the tree. After I have done it, I would always pull on the step as if I was going to uncam it, should be sufficient pressure holding it down.

As far as them loosening up on the tree, this happened to me several times. The steps were primarily designed for one step on the way up and one on the way down. When you use it as a platform, your constantly shifting weight on it back and forth, which can cause the standoffs to dig in further and loosen up. Especially on trees with soft bark (aspen), or large course bark that breaks off easy with movement (oaks)

The good thing is, if you have run the rope and knot correctly, even though they loosen up, they can not slip off with weight on top. The rope will turn into the supporting structure underneath the standoffs. Makes a guy uneasy on them when they move like that, and I wouldn't want to hunt a whole sit that way, but they wont fall out below you.

Regaring the platform, you’re right that they shift on you. However my first real hunting experience with them (on flaky bark to boot) as a platform showed me that between the saddle holding alot of your weight and also your weight being on multiple stepps, you get more leeway in how tight they are. I even had one get loose (as in could flip up) but the way it was tied it was like the steps supported each other and the loose one was still safely useable.

I’m really enjoying the WE stepps now! Pretty solidly in the ring of step camp. :eek:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back