• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

What am I doing wrong

Dressedtokill

I have my wild edge steps and I can’t get them to cam down right. I have watched the videos and make sure everything is right and it seems to be but every time they twist on me or fall down the tree! Any suggestions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attach some pictures of your setup of a stepp and I think someone will be able to get you on track. They are tricky to start but but work great once you get the hang of it.

Make sure the side that's fastened permanently to the rung goes under the stand offs. Saw a guy who had it going over yesterday. They will not cam if the ropes go over the curve in the step.

Other than that, there's a knack to "guessing" exactly how tight they need to be before you cam them over.

On a side note, what's the easiest way to upload videos? This country boy has been struggling. If somebody would pm me, I'd love to put a video up of the way I do it. It hurts my feelings to see so many sets end up on the classifieds. I think they are hands-down the best option for public land.

Yeah I’m very frustrated with them right now! I see how they could be valuable but I can’t get them right! I’m under my standoff’s and putting stands off above rope

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My guess is that the rope is running over the standoff on one side or the other. Make sure the rope is passing under the standoff on both sides as you cam it. The trick is to press the top of the stepp against the tree and make sure the rope is hanging straight down off the bar before wrapping it. On the knot side run the rope under the cross bar and through the triangle before tying the knot.

I
My guess is that the rope is running over the standoff on one side or the other. Make sure the rope is passing under the standoff on both sides as you cam it. The trick is to press the top of the stepp against the tree and make sure the rope is hanging straight down off the bar before wrapping it. On the knot side run the rope under the cross bar and through the triangle before tying the knot.
That's weird. If the knot's not slipping and the ropes have settled, they should pop into place tighter than anything on the market.

I usually start camming mine with the stand-offs a little above level with the backside of the rope and the rung touching the tree. "Flat" with the v facing out. Rope fairly tight. Camming it over requires grabbing the v and pulling down with both sides. They lock in tight that way and usually make an extremely satisfying thunk.

I will say it's better to get the hang of them on a utility pole or thin-barked, hard tree like a water oak. I can set them on pines no problem, but the flaky bark and sap compounds the learning curve.

Back