• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

What do I need?

Newbie questions: If I have zero saddle items, what are the necessities? Saddle (does the bridge come with it?), a platform, a tether, a lineman’s belt, ascender, and carabiners? Is that it?

I’m already planning on the Tethrd Mantis and Predator platform.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well you can buy a kit from aero hunter or tethrd that has all of this, or you can diy with a rch (rock climbing harness) and a sit drag where you would have to buy the components individually (tether, linesman belt, bridge, carabiners, rope for friction hitch or ascenders). Definitely easier to just buy a kit although it's more expensive.

Also need a climbing method

Well you can buy a kit from aero hunter or tethrd that has all of this, or you can diy with a rch (rock climbing harness) and a sit drag where you would have to buy the components individually (tether, linesman belt, bridge, carabiners, rope for friction hitch or ascenders). Definitely easier to just buy a kit although it's more expensive.

Also need a climbing method

Thanks for the reply!

Yes I already have a climbing method with my sticks. Just doing the research and seeing if I am missing anything really important. With offseason coming up I’m hoping to have my setup by summer. Spacing it out will help me bare the cost.

If you are getting the mantis and predator I would recommend getting the tether and linesmans belt from Tethrd also. This, along with your sticks would give you everything you would need to get started. You can then decide if you want a Ropeman or some kind of hitch tender, what pack you need to carry it all, etc. If your like most of us you will change your entire setup at least twice by the time next hunting season rolls around.

I thought I had what I wanted but ended up spending more money because I didn't like the knots on my tether, linemans belt and bridge. If you are buying from Tethrd you will be getting a Amsteel bridge but get the Spliced eye tether and linesman belt too.

Seems like bridges are modified as much or more as any other piece of saddle component..
I changed my Kestrel bridge to Amsteel. Mantis comes with Amsteel but IMO, it's much too long.
I think all newbies need to start out with a bridge material that is somewhat adjustable. Learning to splice Amsteel is very easy, so there is no excuse for not experimenting with a the length of an Amsteel bridge.
Bridge length is important to comfort. Figure out what length works best for YOU.

Seems like bridges are modified as much or more as any other piece of saddle component..
I changed my Kestrel bridge to Amsteel. Mantis comes with Amsteel but IMO, it's much too long.
I think all newbies need to start out with a bridge material that is somewhat adjustable. Learning to splice Amsteel is very easy, so there is no excuse for not experimenting with a the length of an Amsteel bridge.
Bridge length is important to comfort. Figure out what length works best for YOU.

Thanks for the great tips! The more I research and learn the more things seem clear. Saddle hunting has been a bit of a mystery to me.

Thanks for the great tips! The more I research and learn the more things seem clear. Saddle hunting has been a bit of a mystery to me.

You can take 100 different saddle hangers and you will probably see 100 individual set-ups. I'm not sure any of us do things exactly like the next guy. There are so many variations of climbing methods, saddle modifications, platform or ring of step styles, and tether placement. Then, if you are primarily a leaner or sitter effects a bunch of other things and many of these interact and effect each other. It does sound complicated and a bit of a mystery, doesn't it?

1st things 1st...how are you gonna get up the tree? If you hunt private land, you'll have more options of how to climb.
2nd is your saddle. I don't think you can go wrong with the Kestrel or Mantis.
3rd is foot placement. Depending on where exactly you intend to hunt, you may want a few different systems, instead of just one. I prefer a Predator, others use primarily a ring of steps of one sort or another, and some guys own both and choose which will work best for the day.
Once you get those 3 required details in your possession, then you just need some time to practice at ground level and figure out how you want to utilize it for your needs and desires.

Everyone will tell you...safety is #1.
#2, IMO, is a tie between being organized and being comfortable. If you don't have comfort or are disorganized, then saddle hunting won't suit you.
Take it one step at a time and it isn't really a mystery. It's highly effective and a ton of fun.
And you are in the right place for learning. There is a wealth of knowledge, creativity and helpful guys here.
There are a lot of forums out there, I haven't seen a better one, yet.

Back