• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

What do you drag a deer with?

elk yinzer

SH Member
I've always used my tether when I want to drag a deer. It's not exactly what rope mfgs recommend for rope care.

Can you do it with 550 cord (what I use as pullup cord)?

I’ve contacted a conservation officer in Ontario about the gutless method. He said no go.
My plan in the woods is to use paracord and spend 20 min making a travois. That will make it easier to haul over deadfall and I only have to carry the cord in.
In farm country I’ll use a cart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just use my tether also. Not really worried about it breaking down. I just wash it out with really good with water and let it drip dry in the garage. Maybe if I was hunting the next day, I would keep a 2nd tether with my clothes.

I use tether and linemans rope and get them managed to distribute load to both ears of my reversed sitdrag
Until I get it to a trail, then I drop it on the cart.

The cart I even started hooking up to my sit drag with the ropes, carabiners and ropemans….which was so much easier pulling with my waist, than pulling with my arms behind me.

Last edited:
I use a deer cart . This season my good friend is going to let me use his Radrover electric bike. I am going to buy a Rambo deer cart . I used a Glenn's deer handle before I hurt my back and it did work very well.

I've always used my tether when I want to drag a deer. It's not exactly what rope mfgs recommend for rope care.

Can you do it with 550 cord (what I use as pullup cord)?
I have several ways and it depends how far I have to move the deer and how big it is. If it is really big and I'm by myself I might bone it out and pack the meat out.

There are big hills where I hunt. I usually hunt by myself and use a sled to drag the deer out. I fastened some half inch pipe clamps to the edges of the sled and attached a couple lone wolf straps to. The straps keep the deer from falling out if the sled tips onto its side going over logs and stuff.

I have a simple 3 to 1 rope system that I use to pull the sled/deer up hills or steep creek beds. I attached a picture of my setup on a short piece of rope but of course, I use a long rope for the actual drag. Tie one end to a tree, the other end to the deer, walk downhill and the deer goes up.

Tieing the deer to a pole and carrying it out is pretty easy if you have a second person. It is important to tie the belly to the pole too so the deer doesn't swing when you walk.
LND-EE4EF759-4890-4BD0-913C-CE8B4B801007.JPG IMG-1126.JPG

So if you guys are dragging the deer, are you doing it with your hands, or tying it to your saddle or looping around your torso, or what else?

I use my jet sled!! I have not found an area it won’t go and nothing that it doesn’t slide on from early season to late. Best money i have spent to date.

Depends. Sometimes its cart. Sometimes its a sled. Sometimes its as simple as throwing the animal over my shoulders and walking it out.

Either with my hands on a hoof or I use webbing, 20' in a loop with a water knot. Girth hitch around the neck and sling the rest of the loop across my chest and off I go. I feel as though dragging them out is in some way my way of paying respect to the animal. I feel if it's too easy for me than I'm being disrespectful. I'm sure as I age my opinion will change though. Lol!

-Jeremy

Last edited:
I have several ways and it depends how far I have to move the deer and how big it is. If it is really big and I'm by myself I might bone it out and pack the meat out.

There are big hills where I hunt. I usually hunt by myself and use a sled to drag the deer out. I fastened some half inch pipe clamps to the edges of the sled and attached a couple lone wolf straps to. The straps keep the deer from falling out if the sled tips onto its side going over logs and stuff.

I have a simple 3 to 1 rope system that I use to pull the sled/deer up hills or steep creek beds. I attached a picture of my setup on a short piece of rope but of course, I use a long rope for the actual drag. Tie one end to a tree, the other end to the deer, walk downhill and the deer goes up.

Tieing the deer to a pole and carrying it out is pretty easy if you have a second person. It is important to tie the belly to the pole too so the deer doesn't swing when you walk.
View attachment 5300 View attachment 5301

That’s freaking genius!

I find that a sled works great, even when there isn’t snow on the ground. A cart works good when there are no obstacles, but in any kind of thick underbrush or over down timber they almost make it harder.

I like the 3 to 1 rope system idea. Going to have to try that this fall.

I hunt high Bluff country.
Drag to the bottom by antler or leg for a doe . Just need to steer around trees and brush.
Then a ride in my cart.
66ce39973fbb5c7ce0d6c886cc223cf6.jpg

I’ve contacted a conservation officer in Ontario about the gutless method. He said no go.
My plan in the woods is to use paracord and spend 20 min making a travois. That will make it easier to haul over deadfall and I only have to carry the cord in.
In farm country I’ll use a cart.

Glad I read this. I was considering using the gutless method this year and I'm in Ontario. Guess that ends my debate lol.

Depending where I am it could be a cart a sled or up in the mountains it's usually a piece of rope and a 16 inch long stick to tie the rope to and pull with. I believe we call that hitching it out.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    607.5 KB · Views: 30
Glad I read this. I was considering using the gutless method this year and I'm in Ontario. Guess that ends my debate lol.

No kidding. I wish they would rethink but for now we need to prove the animal in transport

So that's why? So they can see if the meat is being transported? I wonder if its got something to do with not wanting some o e stumbling on a carcass.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

In keeping with the theme of the post I use the Armstrong method on a tarp.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

Back