• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

What happened to the Bullman Pioneer steps?

3lilpigs

I picked up a set of 10 of the Minimalist Pioneer steps when they were first released, and then another two a few months later. At that point, I guess they’d been available with the strap for a while, rather than the amsteel.

I love them. When I can’t SRT, those steps are unbeatable for ease of use and portability. But I’ve intentionally taken a break from looking at gear (much to my wallet’s relief), and now I see that they’re discontinued. Were there safety issues, trouble getting the materials, or were they just not selling?

As long as I don’t lose any I should be able to replace the amsteel, and the steps will likely never wear out. But it sucks that they won’t be available just in case.

Yeah I grabbed 6 of them when they had them discounted. 6 of them cost me $35. I used them for my ROS this last year. Worked out great for that. I saw that they were gone now and was wondering the same thing.

I think they just moved to the new “apex steps”

he had a big sale like mentioned above and cleared inventory. I had bought 6 awhile back, have 2 on my predator platform strap And then bought 12 more when they were on sale.

Squirrel steps are next closest thing to them

They moved back to the type of step that flips over all the time unless you have it ultratight with an OCB or ratchet strap, so not suitable for a climbing step (at least for me).

Unsure why they are not offered alongside the Apex/Platform options.
I picked up a set of 6 and mostly pulled them from a bag as an option to climb with a 36” sling aider.
They are also fine as a ring of steps , or added to treehopper or platform steps as a lower bulk ROS , which I prefer as I really don’t use the back side steps too often. Treehopper s pack poorly.
I’m still searching for better attachments than the API cam straps.
Used them in mild weather .
2 steps are less weight than the spendy stick options and fit in a pack… but require more straps/ amsteel attachments.
I’ll check out the Apex eventually but also not making any big gear purchases.

I’m still searching for better attachments than the API cam straps.

for which step and as a ROS or for climbing?

for climbing, i think this eats a cam straps' lunch

They moved back to the type of step that flips over all the time unless you have it ultratight with an OCB or ratchet strap, so not suitable for a climbing step (at least for me).
Yeah, I had their older Silent Approach steps, just couldn’t get them to work comfortably for me. Oh well.

Yeah, I had their older Silent Approach steps, just couldn’t get them to work comfortably for me. Oh well.

I sold them to someone here that already had a set and liked them....otherwise I'd consider it unethical to sell them for climbing....they're almost dangerous.

I use them on the bottom 2 steps after that I don't trust them.

for which step and as a ROS or for climbing?

for climbing, i think this eats a cam straps' lunch

Climbing.
The API are hook to cam, I’m only 160# and they are solid but thin and not reassuring .
Yes- I recall that thread I just prefer a less fussy way to connect, cinch , wrap excess strap and climb.
You guys were on the right path.
I suspect the Apex 2.0 connection will be similar
Pioneer, squirrel steps , cranford and options that attach above step are less like to roll if kept at 5 and 7 o’clock / inside thighs in my unqualified and suspect opinion.

Attachments

• C10CA1CF-7FFE-4D0A-B040-6C1C6A7E809C.jpeg
    C10CA1CF-7FFE-4D0A-B040-6C1C6A7E809C.jpeg
    581.9 KB · Views: 28
Yeah, I picked up 6 more when I saw they were discontinuing them in favor of the new polymer steps. I had 7 that I use as a ring of steps and bought 6 more to have a second set. I hated to see them go as an option.

Back