• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

What is your bowhunting workout program?

IkemanTX

I have always been a pretty small guy, and typically in generally good shape. But, I am planning to spend the next year really pushing myself into mountain shape. I’m hoping to do a solo back country OTC elk hunt in 11k-13k territory, and regardless of wether that happens I would like to be in that kind of shape.

Obviously general cardio needs to be a focus, backpacking with weight needs to be in the mix, and I know I need to work on my glutes quite a bit. Also, ever since a shoulder injury 2 .5 years I have noticed a marked difference in my upper body strength mostly due to babying my shoulder. So back/shoulders need to be focused on too.

It’s starting to sound like a lot now that I say it....

I have really never been a gym rat, and have VERY little knowledge of what workouts or lifts I need to do to work the proper muscle groups. So, what do y’all do (or would y’all do) to train for a strenuous high mountain elk trip?

I would highly recommend sandbag training. Look into Brute Force training programs. They incorporate a strength and conditioning aspect into each workout. The movements listed within their plans are on the lines of crossfit. The ability to control and move oddly balanced weight is beneficial to back country hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I watch The Hunting Public on YouTube - that's about the extent of my workout.

But, may have a daddy/daughter cow elk trip to Wyoming next Christmas again so will need to get busy doing some sort of training. In the past I have donned my hiking books and loaded pack and just walked. That helps some and at the very least gets your feet in "boot shape" and gets you used to your backpack and identifies areas to tweak the loadout.

I am 33 and have been under some sort of fitness regime since I was 16. Everything ranging from weight lifting, marathon preparation programs, Spartan race prep workouts, CrossFit, power lifting, etc etc etc. I will say most people tend to gravitate towards the trendy stuff that happens to be the flavor of the month. I am guilty of that in the past as well. What I have found over the years is the simpler I keep it, the better the results. My workouts don't need a cool name or a name at all for that matter. They don't need to last for hours and they don't have to happen everyday. It's sad but most everyday people who think they are in shape are far from it. So it doesn't take a whole lot to make large strides. Progress only begins to slow dramatically when you are actually in shape! So my advice to anyone (not that I am a professional because I am not. I just have years of experience in different areas of fitness) is to keep it simple, consistent, realistic, and interesting. If you get to where your getting bored, that is the time to change things. If most people would lift something heavy 4 times a week and jog a few miles a week they would see very noticeable results.

I watch The Hunting Public on YouTube - that's about the extent of my workout.

But, may have a daddy/daughter cow elk trip to Wyoming next Christmas again so will need to get busy doing some sort of training. In the past I have donned my hiking books and loaded pack and just walked. That helps some and at the very least gets your feet in "boot shape" and gets you used to your backpack and identifies areas to tweak the loadout.
Yes. The best way to prepare for anything is to "train how you fight". Good point

Flexibility will be key for your shoulder. Focus on good warm ups! I like to use a resistance band to do lateral shoulder rotations. Essentially, pin your elbow to your side and open the door using a 90 motion from the forward position to the side, like opening a door. Then close the door, putting the band the opposite direction from the side to the front. Follow that up with a front raise. I like to do 2-3 sets of 10 just to warm up.

I recommend a stair climber. Live on that thing. I like to do 100 flights for my cardio, 3 days a week. It might sound like a lot but once you get into the swing of it, you'll get it down to 12-15 minutes. Or that's where I'm happy with it. Swimming is also a great, low impact exercise that'll increase your lung capacity.

YOGA (da da dummm) for your core and flexibility is a great too! And make sure your hips are in good shape with good range of motion and when they're happy, your low back will most likely be as well. I'd look on youtube for some hip warm ups.

Then for strength, yes sandbags will be killer! I love those workouts myself. Walking in your pack will be great for you! Back squats, deadlifts, bench press, bent over row, sit ups, pull ups, leg lifts, glute and ham developer (its a padded bench that you slip your feet into). Basic strength work would get you a long way if you're consistent!

Following.

I'm about 8 months into my training journey to prepare me for an elk hunt next year. Currently focusing on cardio (2+ miles a day 5 days a week with a final goal of 4 miles a day) with a mix of weight training 3-4 days a week. I really have no idea what I'm doing, but I feel like any action is better than no action.

I have always been a pretty small guy, and typically in generally good shape. But, I am planning to spend the next year really pushing myself into mountain shape. I’m hoping to do a solo back country OTC elk hunt in 11k-13k territory, and regardless of wether that happens I would like to be in that kind of shape.

Obviously general cardio needs to be a focus, backpacking with weight needs to be in the mix, and I know I need to work on my glutes quite a bit. Also, ever since a shoulder injury 2 .5 years I have noticed a marked difference in my upper body strength mostly due to babying my shoulder. So back/shoulders need to be focused on too.

It’s starting to sound like a lot now that I say it....

I have really never been a gym rat, and have VERY little knowledge of what workouts or lifts I need to do to work the proper muscle groups. So, what do y’all do (or would y’all do) to train for a strenuous high mountain elk trip?
65 years old. Yoga saved my shoulder. I do 20 to 25 pushups for bow strength, followed immediately by 60 to 90 seconds of plank and try a few pullups to keep bow ready.

Pull-ups and dips (weight assisted if needed), pushups, and some standing flys for your shoulders. Full upper body workout and you can do 3 sets of each in 30 mins. If you want to get fancy buy some 5 lb Indian clubs, excellent strengthening and stretching for your shoulders.

Combine that with hiking/rucking and you’re good to go.

18 High Lifes and 4 rounds of sex every week. Keeps a man in his prime and your wife happy enough to not complain about you going hunting. I shot a cow elk in my teens over a mountain I was told not to shoot a cow elk on the other side of. Y’all can have that elk hunting.

I think the most important thing, and the most difficult thing, is to be consistent.

I played college football at 185lbs and had very little fat. When I stopped I dropped to 165. A couple years into dental school I was back up to 180 thanks to PBR and cheeseburgers. I picked running up again and dropped to 160.
For about a year and a half I’ve taken a very simple approach to working out and I’m back up to 185-190 with very little fat.

Like @Murph4028 I keep it simple.

1) lift
2) run
3) shoot

My lifting consists of 2-3 days a week of doing various iterations of “The Murph”. Some weighted and some not. Literally just pull ups, pushups and squats.
I run anywhere from 5 miles a week to 25 depending on when my next race is.

Through it all I mix in shooting my bow.

You can’t do enough cardio. For strength training do full body workouts with a strong emphasis on core and legs. Even though the elevation will suck the energy it’ll be your mental toughness that will test you from day 4 on. I really enjoyed my solo trip but it was tough enough without a solo meat packing marathon. I passed my one shot opportunity but should you be successful an extra hand would be nice and may be the difference between a sore back and ruptured discs.

You can’t do enough cardio. For strength training do full body workouts with a strong emphasis on core and legs. Even though the elevation will suck the energy it’ll be your mental toughness that will test you from day 4 on. I really enjoyed my solo trip but it was tough enough without a solo meat packing marathon. I passed my one shot opportunity but should you be successful an extra hand would be nice and may be the difference between a sore back and ruptured discs.

I’m thinking of having the local horse/mule guy on standby in my contacts in the Garmin “in reach” so I can send him the coordinates while I’m quartering and cleaning... I’m sure that would take some kind of paid retainer to do that.

Check out elk shape on YouTube. He’s very knowledgeable. I think he even has a couple degrees and the one being something in exercise science. I think cam Haynes worked with him as well on training. He has a video or two focusing specifically on shoulders. Having said all that as stated already, you can’t go wrong including yoga into your everyday life. I’ve seen so many people say how it’s changed their lives. Yes you’ll need the cardio, yes you’ll need some strength training, but the yoga will complete the strength and flexibility and also help the mind.

The ones I called in the area I hunted were more than willing if I called and they had nothing going on but they wouldn’t commit. If I did another solo I would consider an alpaca but I highly doubt I’ll go solo again.

Kettlebell simple and sinister by Pavel Tsatsouline. It will cover all your basic fitness needs and leave you with plenty of time and energy for sport specific training (hunting).
This. I've been an outdoorsman all my life, played hockey and football in school and years with the Marines, thought I was in shape. Had an instructor that was strongfirst certified. I've never been so sore in my life. You're on the right track with doing hikes with your pack. They'll get you into pack shape and get you used to walking with a heavy load. If you're not used to it it can wear you out pretty fast and mess your back up. I'd ease into them tho.

Back