• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

What kind of plastic/thickness???(Like used in hip belts, back panels)

Vtbow

Ok everyone, need some help from the bag makers our there....

There is a plastic often used in hip belts and back panels as a stiffener. Its usually black, and I believe its an abs maybe? Anyone know where I can get it and what the general thickness is??

Thanks for any help or direction!!!!

Hdpe is what i have used. You can gets sheets of it cheap from grainger. I use 1/8" for pack frames. 1/16 with be more suitable for something like a belt where flex is still needed.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Hdpe is what i have used. You can gets sheets of it cheap from grainger. I use 1/8" for pack frames. 1/16 with be more suitable for something like a belt where flex is still needed.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Thanks!

You may also have local plastic machinists and distributors. We've got a handful in baton rouge and dozens in houston. May be able to go pick it up around the corner from you today, once you know what you're looking for.

You also may be able to find a suitable piece as a "cutting board" in your local retailer.

What ya working on???

You may also have local plastic machinists and distributors. We've got a handful in baton rouge and dozens in houston. May be able to go pick it up around the corner from you today, once you know what you're looking for.

You also may be able to find a suitable piece as a "cutting board" in your local retailer.

What ya working on???
yeah, the cutting board that is part of my granite gear seat bag is exactly what I"m looking for...good thought.

Have you seen the kuiu summit refuge and their modular stove jack?

I've got a nemo transform tarp I want to make a similar system for. It would be a SUPER versatile setup for early spring and fall. If you're not familiar, its a 12x12 tarp that has a zipper to allow you to transform it into a mid shelter WITH A DOOR in a matter of seconds. I can pitch the same shape with my 10x10 square, but then you have a slot to crawl through instead of an actual door.

20221003_114453.jpg20221003_115430.jpg20221003_115532.jpg20221003_115542.jpg

Vtbow, the name you're looking for is Kydex. Lots of cheaper options, though. I use $1 "flexible" cutting boards when I need structure like that.

Back