• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

What pack do you use for whitetail meat hauling?

DB4x4

I am tired of dragging bodies through the woods.

I would like to start packing deer out, but don't want to carry an enormous overkill western style elk pack everywhere.

What's the smallest pack that would be usable without a trip back to the truck first? Is a frame pack necessary? What have you used that did or didn't work well for this?

Right now I run a Badlands Pursuit day pack that is mostly empty, except for a few essentials, plus my outer layer and single stick lashed to the outside. I haven't tried it yet, but I think the Pursuit would be a little too small for packing out meat.

Looking for suggestions... Thanks.

Hauled several out with the JX3. And probably somewhere between 15-20(not all mine) with the popup. Both work great!

I hauled over a dozen deboned deer out in my Alps Pathfinder, and it wasn't bad at all. This year, since I'm using the JX3 Hybrid, I won't need it.fcfcFQUOT1KKBnuoVvnqmg (1).jpeg

Reactions: JC3
I'm kind of eyeing up the Eberlestock X2 right now, but looking for other suggestions.

I have been using a Badlands 2200 but this year I went with their carbon ox and swapped the larger bag out with a very old badlands point. Carries weight very well and is actually more comfortable then the 2200. They are also on sale right now too

I use an old army surplus Alice pack. I bought one after hearing Warren Womack talk about quartering and packing deer. I've never looked back. I keep a garbage bag and a pair of gloves in a ziplock bag in the front pocket along with a stone for sharpening a blade. I use a Case Trapper to break the deer down.

Attachments

• Alice .jpg
    Alice .jpg
    535 KB · Views: 144
I'm kind of eyeing up the Eberlestock X2 right now, but looking for other suggestions.

I used an X2 all last year for hauling 4 mini beast sticks, saddle, Predator platform, and later season all the layers needed for January Wisconsin hunting. It’s a great pack. I see no problem loading a boned out deer onto it, though I haven’t done that myself.

Only issue is some taller individuals complain of the torso length, I had no problems at 6’1” with normal proportions. Only complaint I have is it’s a bit bulky in the tree.

I actually bought an Eberlestock Renegade, when they had them for $125 this summer, for one sticking. It’s basically the X2 without the wings.

I packed a few with the X2 last year. I am also 6'3". I didn't understand what people were talking about it being for short people. I like the X2, but got a good deal on a F1 and batwings, so I am going to try the shelf this year. If I can't drag to the road in 50 yards or so, I am at least quartering if not deboning in the woods.

I’ve used this one for years!! Works great and is a fraction of the cost. People always ask me about it and where did I get it? You can also interchange the basic frame and add a full backpack to it it. They run anywhere from $150-$185 at most places especially if you catch a deal! 8ECC779E-A5BA-4E69-B670-C343FECE6F3A.jpeg

I have the same one ∆∆∆∆ with the commander bag. they go on sale often enough on camofire. I use it on multi day hunts in the GWNF and it can carry some serious weight. I've carried over 100# of camping gear and meat with it no problem except my burning legs :sweatsmile:. Bought a MR popup 28 last year I'm looking forward to try for day hunts far from the truck

The past few seasons I've been using a kuiu frame with a 1850 day bag. I hauled out two doe at once a couple of years ago with it. It gets the job done but is a little uncomfortable with a heavy load.

This season I've swapped to an exo 4800 for my elk rig. I might not even get the smaller day bag for whitetail, this thing compacts really well when you don't need the extra space.

Mystery Ranch has several great options. This an older NICE frame with one of the day pack options. They still offer several daypacks that haul meat this way.

bc92b343311948e8997725751d344777.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I packed a few with the X2 last year. I am also 6'3". I didn't understand what people were talking about it being for short people. I like the X2, but got a good deal on a F1 and batwings, so I am going to try the shelf this year. If I can't drag to the road in 50 yards or so, I am at least quartering if not deboning in the woods.
I’m 6’5 240 with a 38 inch waist and the X2 fits me just fine as well. I would get another one with zero hesitation.
I did see the new Sitka cargo box and it looked very nice. Like Sitka took the X2 and added more options to it. Which can be good and bad. The price is Sitka silly. But maybe an option to look at.

After I got serious about it I bought a stone glacier x curve frame with several different bags. Once you have a real frame pack you appreciate what it does. But I will use a regular pack if I am not going deep. It doesn’t matter as much if you’re not going far and deboning which is my preferred method.

The past few seasons I've been using a kuiu frame with a 1850 day bag. I hauled out two doe at once a couple of years ago with it. It gets the job done but is a little uncomfortable with a heavy load.

This season I've swapped to an exo 4800 for my elk rig. I might not even get the smaller day bag for whitetail, this thing compacts really well when you don't need the extra space.

If you pack in your outerwear, or in cold late season climates, the bigger bag is nice to have, imo. You're able to stuff all your extra clothing in the pack, rather than having to wear it while hauling your game out or needing to lash it to the frame or overloading the meat shelf and getting it bloody. That way, you still have strapping to lash sticks, platform, weapon, etc.to the pack.

I see a lot of pics of more minimal setups hauling out meat....which looks great....but they are often sans most of the hunting gear I'd need or choose for whitetail deer hunting.

Back