• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

What saddle do you have n why

hunter1177

What you look for in a saddle what makes it better then another ? New to it all but it's another tool I can use n I feel that I am liking it better then most my stands

1. Comfort when using.
2. Easy to walk with.
3. Ability to use quietly.
All personal preference. Best way to find the right one is try them out. Hard to do since you can't do it at a store. Find someone close by or meet ups.
Wish I could have found someone close by so I could have tried one out but made the investment after 2 years of researching now I have it I am looking for the new archon two panel lol gear heads lol

This is a hard question to answer because it is SO subjective based on a person's body size and shape , hunting style (leaner vs kneeler) and prefernces (comfort vs weight). The only way to decide is by trying saddles until you find one your happy with. It may be your first saddle or it may be your 10th saddle. The good news is you can usually re-sell any saddle you dont like with minimum loss. I know that is not the answer your looking for but that is the reality of saddle hunting.

I hear that and have thought the same new to this saddle hunting and I just bought one now I am looking at the new cruzer archon lol I haven't found much wrong with the saddles at all but I am a 32 inch waist and 175 it fits nice in all positions and feels less cramped in the tree Vrs my stands I have my back on it cold wet stiff .I am now making a DBL back band for my bad back problem s n comfortable needs

All the different 1s I've tried (not many) pretty much all felt the same to me. I have 2 diy saddles because I can't justify paying that much money for some webbing and straps.

Edit: 1 saddle has the main webbing that is straight and the other is more football shape and I prefer the football shape

I am looking into the size webbing used buckle's slot of options for the saddles I think I might build one in the future don't look to hard but got to keep slot of things in mind simple yet functional with comfort in mind for leaning kneeing n sitting

Once u find the basic shape that u like all the other is personal preference....some peeps want leg loops and some don't, some want the weight rated buckle and some don't, some like the molle and some don't....u see what I'm saying

I have leg loops because I have them tight while walking in to keep the saddle tight on my body...I loosen them real loose once up in the tree. I want a waist buckle that stays tight and doesn't work loose while walking and I loosen once up in the tree and I don't really care if it's weight rated or not. I like having molle top and bottom and some tight loop and a couple loose loop. I don't carry a backpack so the more storage/clip options the better.....that just my personal preference

Last edited:
Yes it's a never please industry lol every one is different and it will help some n not others like n dislikes it many personal preference really

My go to is the Phantom, very comfortable I had the Mantis and the First Aero one
I also have a JX3 that I love but never hunted out of. I bought it for all day sits... but I do that in my Phantom. I should sell?
I just got the new ESS beause i think I would love a two panel, and I am a big John Eberhardt fan. Will try next year. I like the simplicity of it.

I looked into the jx3 I bought the cruzer S middle now I want the new archon that cruzer is coming out with. How was the jx3 in comfort and security

I am also a newbie and tried the Tethrd mantis and Latitude Method before I ended up with the Cruzr XC and couldn't be more pleased. While I do love it I will 100% get a new method if they come out with a larger size. The thing is you don't know until you sit in it. good luck and welcome from Texas.

One thing about the saddle community is you get a wide range of people from all different hunting geography/income/age/etc styles. There is the extreme minimalist who carry a saddle with 2 amsteels tethered for climbing only, or the ultimate comfortist that go JX3 with full size sticks. Either one will try to recruit you to their side but all will give you good advices based on their own experiences.

There are harecore members of each styles but I found it really surprising that everyone just trying to be helpful and lookout for each other. This is basically my only bastion from internet toxicity because I think the moderators do a good job of enforcing civility.

But with saddles, there is always a market if you did not like the one you picked and want to try another. Saddles dont stay unsold in the classified long, you basically lost some money to lease a saddle.

I'm in the Recon fan club because I like the 2 panels in regards to comfort. Climbing system wise I'm learning one stick for next season.

But I just want to say, even if you dont end up liking saddles, which some dont (we have a few that got lazy in their success and just sit on the damn ground to hunt now) the community is still worth sticking around for!

I like the fact that my backs not in the tree like a stand . After braking my back two time s in about 8 yrs figured that the saddle would be my only way left to hunt off the ground . Can't deal with the tree in my back n stiffness of it just to much for me to be in a tree stand

Cruzr XC became it's very comfortable and it's a mesh saddle . Great for warm weather. I also have a Aero Hunter Flex in Predator camo that is very comfortable and I use it when the weather gets cold. I also have a Guido's Web that I can use for all day sits which is very comfortable also. Then there is my old reliable Treesuit saddle which they haven't made in a longtime. I sold a Aero Hunter Kestrel a few months back and that was a great saddle but I thought I had enough saddles so I didn't need it anymore.

Cruzr XC

I only care about safety and what I feel safest in (not saying others aren't safe) and comfort in a reasonably light and compact package.

I don't walk in with my saddle now and I don't strap any pouches to it except temporarily while climbing. So that cuts a lot of my decision.

I'm mostly a leaner and 34" waist. I'm betting that has an influence on what an individual finds most comfortable.

Last edited:
Back