• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

What's everyone's favorite big platform?

hunterjim00

Not looking for a tree stand hybrid setup. But I like to stand up often and would like a bigger platform to move around a bit. What's everyone using?

The deepest XL platforms are the LWCG Ambush and OOAL Ridge Runner XL. Between them, the Ambush has more width throughout the entire platform but the post runs through the center, whereas the Ridge Runner XL has no intrusions through the platform making it all usable space. Some don’t like how LWCG platforms cam and some report the Ambush makes some noise on certain tree types or can fold when weighted behind the post if not double strapped. Idk.

The Mission isn’t quite as deep and is heavier and bulkier than these, but easy to cam and get a good solid set. It is less expensive and can often be found at an even better price in Classifieds.

Predator XL is only 13” deep, but it’s reportedly 4lbs. People complain that the Predator platforms don’t always bite rock solid, and there have been bowed castings in this line.

Seeker is similar in dimensions to the Predator XL. Offers an angled edge but that eats up flat surface and some say such angles are more effective for reducing foot fatigue when they are closer to the tree.

Last edited:
There’s also the Timber Ninja Ledge but I have not seen 1 review nor used it

5ee4b70bf30a76ca797dfc15f718ebc1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Bets There you go. I did replace the versa button with a cam cleat before season and it made climbing with it easier for sure.

5ee4b70bf30a76ca797dfc15f718ebc1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Bets There you go. I did replace the versa button with a cam cleat before season and it made climbing with it easier for sure.

Did you have any issues with the Cam cleat when it cam to camming the platform with the leverage? Then it looks like you added an extra bottom section for the stick portion?

Thank you very much btw. Very nice set up. Guessing it keeps you under 8lbs total?

Did you have any issues with the Cam cleat when it cam to camming the platform with the leverage? Then it looks like you added an extra bottom section for the stick portion?

Thank you very much btw. Very nice set up. Guessing it keeps you under 8lbs total?
6.75 iirc. No issues with the cleat at all. So far, lol. I didnt add an extra piece, I just bought a 20" section of tubing from EWO, swapped over the mission parts to the top, and added the stuff at the bottom. Helps a lot to go up the tree where you are 90 degrees left or right of the platform instead of going up in line like you would with a regular stick. Dont have to worry about toe hooking because that is built into the climb. When I get to height just cam the platform down and it is rock solid.

I will post a pic of mine later. I bought a length of the square tubing a little longer and put the cam cleat below the pivot point for the platform. Now when I climb I use as a one stick and don't cam the platform over until it is time to set up and hunt. I use a 3 step aider off the bottom step also.

I will post a pic of mine later. I bought a length of the square tubing a little longer and put the cam cleat below the pivot point for the platform. Now when I climb I use as a one stick and don't cam the platform over until it is time to set up and hunt. I use a 3 step aider off the bottom step also.
I dont cam this one over fully to climb. Just enough to reach the rope in the cam cleat, a couple inches is all. Look forward to seeing yours. How much longer? I was trying to keep the length as short as functional with this build. Had though about going 32 or so inches and have 2 steps below the platform but decided against it.

I don't remember exactly how long. I think I bought the longer length from EWO. I will measure tonight. I tried the cam behind the platform for a few climbs and wasn't a fan.

Back