• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

When is the best time to harvest milkweed

Whenever the pods are formed I just pick them. Then I'll leave them on the bench somewhere in my barn to dry. When they start to dry they will open up and will begin the float everywhere so you have to contain them at that point. Just make sure you don't close them up in something or they'll just start mildewing and molding.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

These pictures were taken about 3 days ago. The caterpillars have eaten every single leaf off of them and I have cocoons all over my barn. It's always a good day when I come home and there's monarchs all over my yard. My daughter loves it as well!
e8e9bbc2eb378a5f98c8b80f54d62d3e.jpg
775e5644e8d6f18ab0bb0deff8a4298a.jpg

Whenever the pods are formed I just pick them. Then I'll leave them on the bench somewhere in my barn to dry. When they start to dry they will open up and will begin the float everywhere so you have to contain them at that point. Just make sure you don't close them up in something or they'll just start mildewing and molding.

Thanks. A friend showed me something last summer. They are actually edible before they fully mature. The insides are juicy and white. I thought he was kidding me until he ate one. Then I tried it and it was good.

Thanks. A friend showed me something last summer. They are actually edible before they fully mature. The insides are juicy and white. I thought he was kidding me until he ate one. Then I tried it and it was good.
That is good to know. Any health benefits besides just being edible? I always have a problem with aphids on mine. I never want to spray them with anything because of the monarchs. The local nurseries around here I have not been carrying ladybugs so I'm not sure how to control them. I definitely wouldn't want to spray them with anything if I was going to eat the pods.

That is good to know. Any health benefits besides just being edible? I always have a problem with aphids on mine. I never want to spray them with anything because of the monarchs. The local nurseries around here I have not been carrying ladybugs so I'm not sure how to control them. I definitely wouldn't want to spray them with anything if I was going to eat the pods.

Don't know of any health benefits. They taste like cucumber.
Thanks again for the info.

Go to Etsy and you can buy all you want for cheap. I got probably 10 years worth for like $15.00.

Found some along a walking path I visit with my dog last week - the pods were tiny. I wondered when they'd be ready...thanks for the info.

You can pick 'em when they are green if you want. I'd say in pa that late Sept would be okay here. Might be a little sooner where you are. I think the perfect time is when the pods just begin to dry and barely split open on the plant. They will start to turn yellowish. That's the best time to get them.
The most important thing after you pick them...wrap a rubber band around the pod. Otherwise, the pod will fully open and you'll have a mess. You should really be picking pods for NEXT year and several years down the road. They store well once dry so pick a bunch. You'll have a several year supply. There's a lot of floaters in just one pod.
And there's absolutely no need to transfer the floaters to another container. Mother Nature has provided the perfect container. Leave the rubber band on the pod and attach some sort of clip to the pod. I just thread a piece of dental floss thru the pod and tie it to the clip. Attach the clip to your coat and the floaters will always be easily accessible without digging in pockets and opening containers. With a clip, you won't drop it from 20 feet and when the floaters are stored in the pod they remain pristine and undamaged. A pristine milkweed float drifts on the wind better than one that's been stuffed in an pill bottle or other container.

There are some things that I know...this milkweed system is THE best wind indicator you can have and it's free.
You won't be sorry with this...
36eb062a5654accb253452087713d03f.jpg

Last edited:
I pick them around the end of August. Early September opener here. They will split on their own or you can split them yourself if you want.

Can we start a ‘saddle hunter milkweed pod supply chain’ ? Guys who have the milkweed around you, pick a bunch and dry them. Guys that don’t, can cover gas, shipping, logistics costs of gathering, or make trades for them...

Can we start a ‘saddle hunter milkweed pod supply chain’ ? Guys who have the milkweed around you, pick a bunch and dry them. Guys that don’t, can cover gas, shipping, logistics costs of gathering, or make trades for them...

I have more milkweed available than anyone could ever need. Hundreds of plants.

Just a reminder to everybody to make sure you save the seeds from the pods and spread them around where you found them. Monarch butterfly need the milkweed plant to survive. The caterpillar feeds on the leaves. All we need is the fluff and it floats much more accurately by itself without the seed attached. No sense just throwing the seeds away or dropping them in thicker spots where they will not grow. Milkweed grows best in wide open areas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-
aphids - use a little dawn soap and water -- that gets rid of them.

I have money to pay for shipping !

I am not clear, is there an import duty for high quality Canadian Milkweed? Wait, that was steel.

I'll harvest a bunch at the end of the month and sent it out to whoever needs some...

Back