• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Which one are you??

I’m none of these lol I’ll say this til I die, never cared about horns, a world record buck I couldnt care less about. Bc no matter how big the horns you can’t eat them. A full freezer is better any day of the week.
Yeah. If it gets me excited. I'm shooting. My wife gets mad if I try to hold out for the big one. Which will more than likely not show.

Yeah. If it gets me excited. I'm shooting. My wife gets mad if I try to hold out for the big one. Which will more than likely not show.
My wife does too! Her parents really rely on a lot of deer meat from me every year and all of our animals eat whatever we dont eat form each deer carcass. This season I tried to set expectations with her. First 3-4 weeks of season ill shoot as many does as I can. Last week of October through first week of December is buck only. After mid December ill try to shoot a bunch more does.

As far as ground shrinkage excuses, none for me. this is only my 6th hunting season. First 5 seasons I put a projectile in anything that walked within range. This year was the first year I decided to stop shooting small bucks and does during the rut. It paid off. I shot a 110 inch deer on halloween on public. For some that may need a ground shrinkage excuse, but for me, best public land deer ive ever shot. Ive got eyes on a 130 inch deer too, but once first week of December comes, ill undoubtedly go back to shooting does or even a small buck if he comes close. like @The_Fit_Ness_Monster I started out as a meat hunter and I will always primarily be a meat hunter.

As far as ground shrinkage excuses, none for me. this is only my 6th hunting season. First 5 seasons I put a projectile in anything that walked within range. This year was the first year I decided to stop shooting small bucks and does during the rut. It paid off. I shot a 110 inch deer on halloween on public. For some that may need a ground shrinkage excuse, but for me, best public land deer ive ever shot. Ive got eyes on a 130 inch deer too, but once first week of December comes, ill undoubtedly go back to shooting does or even a small buck if he comes close. like @The_Fit_Ness_Monster I started out as a meat hunter and I will always primarily be a meat hunter.
15th+ season forever and always a meat hunter.

That’s a great clickbait story to shame people if I’ve ever seen one, no offense to @MattMan81 intended because I know that wasn’t the reason for posting it.

It’s my opinion that’s made of the stuff that gives hunters bad names. Be proud of anything you can take home. I rarely read the words ground shrinkage on this forum and see a ton of people proud of everything, I love that around here.

I did finish one someone else shot when I was 17. Shotgun hunter only then, in a group of guys, hear a shot from the guy to my west, 10 minutes later a gut shot basket 8 is struggling by me so I fire a fatal blow. Guy comes up and says “is he down?!” I respond in the affirmative, climb down, and we go to the deer. He looks for a few seconds and says “oh you go ahead and tag him, that’s not the one I shot at, he was bigger.”

Don’t get me wrong here, I was happy to tag him and have the meat, legally it is my tag to use, but a 17 year old feeling pity for a 50ish year old guy isn’t a good look. 25ish years later it’s a reminder to me to be proud of what you get and own up to imperfect shots cause they darn sure will happen.

That’s a great clickbait story to shame people if I’ve ever seen one, no offense to @MattMan81 intended because I know that wasn’t the reason for posting it.

It’s my opinion that’s made of the stuff that gives hunters bad names. Be proud of anything you can take home. I rarely read the words ground shrinkage on this forum and see a ton of people proud of everything, I love that around here.

I did finish one someone else shot when I was 17. Shotgun hunter only then, in a group of guys, hear a shot from the guy to my west, 10 minutes later a gut shot basket 8 is struggling by me so I fire a fatal blow. Guy comes up and says “is he down?!” I respond in the affirmative, climb down, and we go to the deer. He looks for a few seconds and says “oh you go ahead and tag him, that’s not the one I shot at, he was bigger.”

Don’t get me wrong here, I was happy to tag him and have the meat, legally it is my tag to use, but a 17 year old feeling pity for a 50ish year old guy isn’t a good look. 25ish years later it’s a reminder to me to be proud of what you get and own up to imperfect shots cause they darn sure will happen.
I too felt there was an element of clickbait shaming going on, by no fault of @MattMan81 who we’ve all come to know as a standup dude who’s happy for anyone to tag a deer.
I’m more disappointed in Brody Swisher and Bowhunting.com, which I have always felt was a great platform. Still do, just disappointed with this one for sure.

Boy way to call me out guys. J.k.
I agree. I posted it because I got a laugh out of it.
I agree it feels like the internet has just encouraged people to only shoot a monster, and your not a real hunter if you don't. Your right @BTaylor and @DelaWhere_Arrow it seems like it almost should have never been written. But kinda needs to be addressed. Maybe they should have wrote it differently? Could have been talked about in a more tactful way I bet.

Yeah I only bow hunt public land in Louisiana only qualifier to get murked is don’t have spots lol

I can't wait to work the word "murked" into a conversation soon.

I know Brodie well and I can assure you his intent with that article is far from shaming and judging. He recently posted on his FB page about people shaming others over what they kill and is holding a contest for the biggest spike with some gear/swag give-a-ways. I think his intent was less about judgement and more about the lengths hunters will go to in order to protect their ego from good natured hunt camp ridicule when the deer wasn't what they thought it was. Nicknames tend to stick and you don't want to wind up being called "Dinker" for the next 30 years by your buds.

I can't wait to work the word "murked" into a conversation soon.

I know Brodie well and I can assure you his intent with that article is far from shaming and judging. He recently posted on his FB page about people shaming others over what they kill and is holding a contest for the biggest spike with some gear/swag give-a-ways. I think his intent was less about judgement and more about the lengths hunters will go to in order to protect their ego from good natured hunt camp ridicule when the deer wasn't what they thought it was. Nicknames tend to stick and you don't want to wind up being called "Dinker" for the next 30 years by your buds.
This is what I suspected of Brody’s character based on past “performances”, but there is zero mention of this sentiment in his article. If some underhanded sarcasm or forced introspection was his goal, he needs to spend a little time in the Philly area where sarcasm was invented then rework the article a bit.

This is what I suspected of Brody’s character based on past “performances”, but there is zero mention of this sentiment in his article. If some underhanded sarcasm or forced introspection was his goal, he needs to spend a little time in the Philly area where sarcasm was invented then rework the article a bit.

That’s how I read it. His intent was sarcasm and to poke fun about people and their egos. It just didn’t come through well in the article.

Plus, @MattMan81 everyone knows that being a real hunter has nothing to do with how big the buck is. You’re only a real hunter if you shoot it with a stickbow.

That’s sarcasm people! :)

Last edited:
That’s how I read it. His intent was sarcasm and to poke fun about people and their egos. It just didn’t come through well in the article.

Plus, @MattMan81 everyone knows that being a real hunter has nothing to do with how big the buck is. Your only a real hunter if you shoot it with a stickbow.

Gold.

Plus, @MattMan81 everyone knows that being a real hunter has nothing to do with how big the buck is. You’re only a real hunter if you shoot it with a stickbow.

What about stickguns, you know crossguns without cams? Are they considered traditional now? :p

Back