• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Which Type of Strap for Platform

2Shea

Vendor Rep
Which strap are you guys using for your platforms? I will also probably use it for my camera arm base as well. I see a lot of guys are doing the cam over method with rope but I won't have that option. I'll be using a homemade seat on a muddy stick. So would those cam buckle straps or whatever they're called be best?? If so can someone post a link to the best strap they found that would be great. My buddy had sent me an email on them before but I can't find it. He said it gets very tight but without the noise and weight of a regular ratchet. Thanks for any input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you might be looking to go with the boat buckle type strap. Although I have not tried it yet but the lonewolf straps are just a cam buckle and that is their go to for their stands. I am tempted to try it but have safety reservations. For me personally once I get mine done I will try to make a whoopie sling out of amsteel. I don't mod or alter things during the season so I will have too wait. But I would try those options first.

Yea that's what it is called is the boat buckle strap. Wasn't sure of the name. Supposedly will get stuff super tight. Im a super newbie when it comes to saddles and stuff so I have no idea how a whoopie sling works

The boat buckle is an over center buckle. It gets tighter than a conventional strap, but you will only get it so tight. I believe a ratchet will go tighter only because they typically have longer leverage arm. The boat buckle also seems cheaply made, keep an eye on it if your using it to support your weight.

Hmmm ok well in that case im not sure what I should use then. My platform is a Muddy stick with a homemade platform on it. I'm sure I'll use the muddy rope that comes with the stick but wanted a secondary strap to put on there and make sure it was night and snug to the tree. After seeing all these XOP platforms with the Amsteel cam over action, I'm kinda wishing I would've just done that......anyone use a platform on a muddy stick, If so what type of straps are you using

G2 had a platform mounted to a stick, might want to search using his screen name. The strap you use isn't that important, as long as it doesn't have much stretch. Use what you can get your hands on and upgrade as needed. As you read a long here, there isn't one thing that works for all of us. We all have are own preferences, you gotta find what works for you.

I had the platform originally attached to my LW stick. I used the LW strap to attach the stick to the tree, then ran the Amsteel whoopie sling around the tree, just like with a stand alone platform.

The combined stick/platform method worked well and I may end up getting another platform to use this way again. For now, I changed to a stand alone platform for three reasons.
1. I bought climbing spurs and wanted a platform I could use with those
2. Climbing on top of the platform was a little wonky at 25' up. Not a deal breaker, but not ideal.
3. I like the idea of using the platform independent of my sticks in order to get a little extra height, hunt from a spot on the tree that the stick wouldn't fit, or to use the top of the stick as a replacement for Ameristeps on a strap and step around the tree

I had the platform originally attached to my LW stick. I used the LW strap to attach the stick to the tree, then ran the Amsteel whoopie sling around the tree, just like with a stand alone platform.

The combined stick/platform method worked well and I may end up getting another platform to use this way again. For now, I changed to a stand alone platform for three reasons.
2. Climbing on top of the platform was a little wonky at 25' up. Not a deal breaker, but not ideal.
3. I like the idea of using the platform independent of my sticks in order to get a little extra height, hunt from a spot on the tree that the stick wouldn't fit, or to use the top of the stick as a replacement for Ameristeps on a strap and step around the tree

I don't have spurs but reasons 2 and 3 are spot on why I decided to go with just a platform. Just waiting on the parts now

Step 2 is why I abandoned an aider hanging off my platform to use as a one stick type climbing method. Getting up and over the platform didn't feel as safe as id like.

Back