• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Who needs climbing spurs tote?

Cajunshooter

I’m going to explain how I pack to walk out and then explain what I asking.

When I go out, I am either walking out or ride my bike and then walk. Either way I put my Mantis saddle on with my two linesman’s belts daisy-chained attached on my sides and two SYS Haulers with gear hanger, recliner, ring of steps and a few accessories. Then I am ready to climb except for my spurs.

So, I use an archery backpack, so all of my hunting gear including my bow, extra clothing ext goes in or on this pack. I have tried several different ways of carrying my spurs so when I get to the tree all I have to do is take my spurs and strap them on without taking anything else off. Then when I get to the top of the tree, in about 5 mins I start by first putting on the gear hanger on then hang my backpack and start unpacking. The spurs or just difficult to organize, securely so they don’t rattle or straps hanging all over the place on the way in. I also don’t have a good of securing them once in the tree. What I’ve been doing is strapping the spurs together and throwing the strap over my neck and one shoulder. This makes it really easy to take off at the tree without touching anything else.

So I’m going to have my daughter make me a simple duffle type tote just for my spurs out of camo fleece. It’s going to look something like the pic below but more simple with only the shoulder strap and zipper, no pocket and no middle handle.

Once she’s done with it. I’ll test it out and see if anything needs to change.

Anyone have any interest in something like this? Any other ideas?
ab38dc5ce5628f7ecde21c3d06aaf6c1.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm still trying to figure out how spurs pack best for me. Bolts and wild edge steps have got me spoilt. Don't even get me started on putting them on and taking them off on the tree.

So far, I've been happy with wrapping the crap out of them in vet wrap, and holding them together with a custom bugee. They then get lashed to the straps on the bottom of my bad lands or carried by hand.

I want to make a custom set of spurs protectors that cover the spurs completely in transport and are wrapped in fleece or vet wrap. That way there is 0 clinkage.

I'm still trying to figure out how spurs pack best for me. Bolts and wild edge steps have got me spoilt. Don't even get me started on putting them on and taking them off on the tree.

So far, I've been happy with wrapping the crap out of them in vet wrap, and holding them together with a custom bugee. They then get lashed to the straps on the bottom of my bad lands or carried by hand.

I want to make a custom set of spurs protectors that cover the spurs completely in transport and are wrapped in fleece or vet wrap. That way there is 0 clinkage.

Yeah I lash them together using the strap on the spurs but they never stay tight and they are all wrapped with camo form but they are still a mess, I want to tuck them away walking in and in the tree, not have them hanging all over the place. I think this tote will make it much more quick, quite and compact for me.

Man I still don’t see how anyone who can legally punch a hole in tree wants to get to the tree and start drilling holes when you can just strap on spurs in one minute and climb.

@Cajunshooter, a bungie will keep them a lot tighter. I use to lash mine with the straps, and they'd come loose on me too. Never had them give any issues with the bungie. I still like the looks of the tote though.

As far as bolts vs spurs, if I'm climbing 20ft or less, my setup time on a fresh tree is about the same either way. Spurs are quicker on the climb, but taking them off in the tree is just a pain, and I lose time there. Presets are nice too, although I don't get to reap the benefits of that as much as I wish.

Really though, the biggest problem is what happens if you get the green apple quicksteps and gotta put your spurs on whilst simultaneously clenching your cheeks!;)

In all seriousness, I use my spurs, but like being able to carry all of my crap in my jacket pocket if I want to. Bolts let me do that.

@Cajunshooter, a bungie will keep them a lot tighter. I use to lash mine with the straps, and they'd come loose on me too. Never had them give any issues with the bungie. I still like the looks of the tote though.

As far as bolts vs spurs, if I'm climbing 20ft or less, my setup time on a fresh tree is about the same either way. Spurs are quicker on the climb, but taking them off in the tree is just a pain, and I lose time there. Presets are nice too, although I don't get to reap the benefits of that as much as I wish.

Really though, the biggest problem is what happens if you get the green apple quicksteps and gotta put your spurs on whilst simultaneously clenching your cheeks!;)

In all seriousness, I use my spurs, but like being able to carry all of my crap in my jacket pocket if I want to. Bolts let me do that.

Yeah I’m just sick and tired of all the extra and lose straps and stuff hanging all over the place. I want my stuff as concealed as possible now.

We absolutely need to all use whatever is most comfortable for each of us. But I watched the video you made with the bolts and in all seriousness by the time you started drilling your second hole I would have been starting to take my spurs off. Also out of the ten hunts I’ve made so far this year, I haven’t hunted the same tree twice because I’m being forced to move by the deer movement which is always changing. So presets would seldom be an advantage for me if ever. I understand doing presets work for some people but that is exactly why I started saddle hunting.

Yeah I’m just sick and tired of all the extra and lose straps and stuff hanging all over the place. I want my stuff as concealed as possible now.

We absolutely need to all use whatever is most comfortable for each of us. But I watched the video you made with the bolts and in all seriousness by the time you started drilling your second hole I would have been starting to take my spurs off. Also out of the ten hunts I’ve made so far this year, I haven’t hunted the same tree twice because I’m being forced to move by the deer movement which is always changing. So presets would seldom be an advantage for me if ever. I understand doing presets work for some people but that is exactly why I started saddle hunting.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong. Make us a video one of these days showing a cradle to grave climb with your rig. I'm always happy to learn

I know bolts are slower. I'm about 15 minutes to get all set up assuming a 20ft climb. Maybe a little over, but not much. I could definitely beat the time in my video. I screwed up a few things.

To me the big thing is the "stuff hanging all over the place" you describe. Bolts are a very neat and tidy system. I can hike, bike, kayak, or wade as far as necessary and never readjust anything or hear my gear make a peep. They're safer too in my mind. Gaff-outs are no fun.

Like I said, I'm not anti-spur. I hunted with my climb rights last night. For pine trees or throwaway hunts to areas I know I'm not coming back to, they're awesome. But even if I'm spur hunting, I can keep a roll of bolts and a drill in the pack. It weighs less than a pound and takes up about as much space as a beer can. :)

Maybe I'm doing something wrong. Make us a video one of these days showing a cradle to grave climb with your rig. I'm always happy to learn

I know bolts are slower. I'm about 15 minutes to get all set up assuming a 20ft climb. Maybe a little over, but not much. I could definitely beat the time in my video. I screwed up a few things.

To me the big thing is the "stuff hanging all over the place" you describe. Bolts are a very neat and tidy system. I can hike, bike, kayak, or wade as far as necessary and never readjust anything or hear my gear make a peep. They're safer too in my mind. Gaff-outs are no fun.

Like I said, I'm not anti-spur. I hunted with my climb rights last night. For pine trees or throwaway hunts to areas I know I'm not coming back to, they're awesome. But even if I'm spur hunting, I can keep a roll of bolts and a drill in the pack. It weighs less than a pound and takes up about as much space as a beer can. :)

I’ll try to but I never have anyone around to video it and I don’t do the self film thing. I may be able to work something out this weekend when I have my boys with me. If I can get it done you’ll see how if everything is packed away well how quick it is to get up that tree. It’s really as quick as, walk up to the tree, take the spurs off my neck, strap them on my legs, loosen one carabiner from my saddle, wrap the linesman around the tree and start up. If I have a straight, limb free tree like you had I’m up in 1 minute.

Also if you just make sure your body is away from the tree and you are staying the gaffs in solid, I don’t see why you’d ever gaff out.

Back