• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Why do we need the triangle link?

Sincyrman

To start with, I own one. But when I use it, the rope is only contacting two of the corners. It's hard to see how this device is protecting against any side loading.
Also every picture I see of one in use looks the same. Am I missing something? Has the Chinese flu rotted my brain? Do I need to self ventilate?

Carabiners are strongest along their main axis (with the opening closed). When you use one wrapped around the curve of a tree, the pull won't be straight end-to-end, it'll be pulled a bit sideways. It's still pretty strong, but you're not pulling the way it's strongest.

Delta links/quick links appear to have a stronger side-load (minor axis) capacity than normal carabiners, so there's more safety margin if you're really pulling sideways. In our use, we're probably not... but it's cheap insurance on unknown risk.

Another benefit is in one-stick climbing or going around a branch while using a tether. To detach and go around you'd have to feed your entire slack end of rope out of, then back through your loop, OR you could unscrew and re-screw the link... which may be faster/easier/less movement.

@JBDaddy
I understand what you are saying regarding the side loading, but do you need the link to be triangular? The rope only touches the link in two spots. Wouldn't a standard link work? I'm not saying we should use carabiners for this.

I'm using an oval screw link. Just make sure what you use is rated.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I'm using an oval screw link. Just make sure what you use is rated.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I'll continue to use the triangle, which is rated, but I think the oval is just as good. Thanks for your input.

I think the oval is just as good. Steel, as compared to aluminum carabiners, is much stronger.

I think the oval is just as good. Steel, as compared to aluminum carabiners, is much stronger.
I agree. When I saw the triangle link, it looked great in theory, but when I held it my hands and attached it ro a tree using a girth hitch, I failed to see any advantage. Thanks for your input.

Back