• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Wild edge aider climb

JakeB

Reading all these wild edge climbing methods I finally ordered 8 steps and a 4 step aider to use with them.

Went outside set the first step as high as I could maybe 6.5-7’ or so I guess, put a caribiner on the aider and snapped it directly on the step, climbed up to the step then set the next one, reached down grabbed the aider then connected it to the second step at about 13-14’.

Am I missing something? Seems pretty simple in the yard. I was only able to get 2 steps high do to the tree.

Seems like I could potentially use 5 steps to get to 22’+ and use 2 steps as a platform. (3 steps to climb then set the platform standing on my 3rd step)

It's all about flexibility and core strength. Also, keep in mind that the ole squat-n-reach gets a bit more difficult in cold weather clothes. I've monkeyed around with a 5 step aider and stepps and while it was doable, I never really felt comfortable on the last few high steps. I'm currently trying to see if I can make myself a "knaider" and use it in conjunction with an amsteel whoopie aider. I like the idea of fewer steps, but I've grown very accustomed to the stability provided by the stepps, and aiders compromise that a bit. Just trying to find the right balance.

Sounds like you've got a good thing going on.

Bingo. It really is that easy.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

One thing to consider as well is branches.

Doing the linemans belt dance while on an aider isn't my preference. I would rather have closer step spacing and no linemans belt in heavily limbed sections. I've decided that I'm carrying six with an aider in the hills, 5 with an aider in swamp/marsh/flat land. I can climb to 40 feet if I want with the six. Five gets me well over 30 feet if I want it and an easy up to 20-25 feet even on a heavily limbed tree.

I can see how reaching down to grab the aider can become a bit troublesome in a hunting situation. I also could see myself easily carrying 3 aiders and just leaving them on the steps.

I was very surprised how stable it was. I was expecting the caribiner to want to slide on the step but it actually stayed solid.

I’ll give it some more test runs and see how it goes!

I can see how reaching down to grab the aider can become a bit troublesome in a hunting situation. I also could see myself easily carrying 3 aiders and just leaving them on the steps.

I was very surprised how stable it was. I was expecting the caribiner to want to slide on the step but it actually stayed solid.

I’ll give it some more test runs and see how it goes!
It isn't that bad...

When I was younger man, I use to dive for the Canadian DFO. Part of the annual government training was to demonstrate competency performing underwater tasks blindfolded. Its amazing what you can do without your eyes and to this day I practice most of basic climbing operations blindfolded at safe heights. It is easy to tie a stepp knot, climb an aider, and move an aider blindfolded. It just requires a little practice.

I’m not really worried about being able to do it in the dark, more so the amount of pain in the butt on those not so perfect trees.

There’s a fine line between light weight and to much aggravation.

I’m hoping this method works out for me. It could put my total package really close to 10 pounds if my math is right. 5 pounds for platform, and climbing method, and 3 for kestrel then a few more for ropes and pack.

Bass boy,
You’re basically using the redsquirrel aider to get to 40’ right?

I’m not really worried about being able to do it in the dark, more so the amount of pain in the butt on those not so perfect trees.

There’s a fine line between light weight and to much aggravation.

I’m hoping this method works out for me. It could put my total package really close to 10 pounds if my math is right. 5 pounds for platform, and climbing method, and 3 for kestrel then a few more for ropes and pack.

Bass boy,
You’re basically using the redsquirrel aider to get to 40’ right?
Red uses a single loop aider. I use a multiloop. Both tethered. Similar but different. Clipping to the step is simpler. I need to play around some more. I have some ideas. Just need time on the tree.

I've also been doing some self belay with an ascender when climbing similar to cheating through a route when top rope rock climbing. This allows me to push the through branched sections of tree faster and requires little effort.

Branches are the main reason why I carry more. It was worth the extra weight and it didn't force me to climb a certain way.

One thing to consider as well is branches.

Doing the linemans belt dance while on an aider isn't my preference. I would rather have closer step spacing and no linemans belt in heavily limbed sections. I've decided that I'm carrying six with an aider in the hills, 5 with an aider in swamp/marsh/flat land. I can climb to 40 feet if I want with the six. Five gets me well over 30 feet if I want it and an easy up to 20-25 feet even on a heavily limbed tree.

Can you breakdown your method. I am having a hard time visualizing it. About the best I can do is 6.5ft per step with my first step going into the tree while standing in the ground. I am 5’8”.

I just bought an 8 packs plus the Stepp aider from Wild Edge. Tried it out and this works great for me. Very simple and most cases I can likely get by with only 6 Stepps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can you breakdown your method. I am having a hard time visualizing it. About the best I can do is 6.5ft per step with my first step going into the tree while standing in the ground. I am 5’8”.
6.5 feet per step and you are practically there. 6 x 6.5 = 39. I'm just a couple inches taller with boots on.

Yea, I didn’t measure. I put the step as high as I could reach. I guess it’s likely around 6.5’.

All I did was caribiner a 4 step aider to the step, climbed up to that first step at 6.5’ reached down to grab the aider then did the whole process over again with the second step as high as I could reach.

Hope I explained it a little better.

I just bought an 8 packs plus the Stepp aider from Wild Edge. Tried it out and this works great for me. Very simple and most cases I can likely get by with only 6 Stepps.

Dewey, have you tried the steps as a platform yet? I believe that is the route I will be going with my kestrel this year.

Yea, I didn’t measure. I put the step as high as I could reach. I guess it’s likely around 6.5’.

All I did was caribiner a 4 step aider to the step, climbed up to that first step at 6.5’ reached down to grab the aider then did the whole process over again with the second step as high as I could reach.

Hope I explained it a little better.
If it's as high as you can reach you are likely farther. I'm not very tall. 5'9". I can reach to 7.5 feet. It's easier to position the steps with 6.5 foot spacing.

Dewey, have you tried the steps as a platform yet? I believe that is the route I will be going with my kestrel this year.

Not yet but I will be trying it. That’s why I bought and 8 pack with the aider. Hoping to have 2 Stepps left for a platform. Would be really nice having everything in one nice compact package.

Reading all these wild edge climbing methods I finally ordered 8 steps and a 4 step aider to use with them.

Went outside set the first step as high as I could maybe 6.5-7’ or so I guess, put a caribiner on the aider and snapped it directly on the step, climbed up to the step then set the next one, reached down grabbed the aider then connected it to the second step at about 13-14’.

Am I missing something? Seems pretty simple in the yard. I was only able to get 2 steps high do to the tree.

Seems like I could potentially use 5 steps to get to 22’+ and use 2 steps as a platform. (3 steps to climb then set the platform standing on my 3rd step)

Did u make or buy that aider? That does sound cool!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Did u make or buy that aider? That does sound cool!

I bought it, I think it’s a metelious maybe? I just went with a 4 step because I can’t reach high enough for a 5 step.

I haven’t messed with it anymore, just been busy. I need to though.

Ditto...I want to use my excess steps as my platform at the top too!

Back