• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Wild edge step platform

Is this safe and will it work? I’m thinking about doing this but adding a aluminum plate backer to the plywood or ever making it out of a solid piece of aluminum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't think you'll ever get anyone to say it's 100% safe, too many people are scared of getting sued. I'm sure that 3/4" ply is close to breaking with not much additional weight, and there are lots of variables at play like how much you weigh, how big the holes are drilled and how close to the edges of the ply they are, and how much exposure to deteriorating elements (moisture) the ply has seen. That said, I think it's an interesting technique. I might consider it if I was strict about testing it at safe heights and replacing the ply on a regular basis. I would not recommend this for anyone else.

Is this safe and will it work? I’m thinking about doing this but adding a aluminum plate backer to the plywood or ever making it out of a solid piece of aluminum.

I would not use this idea withOUT actually securely camming the step over. That is what would actually give it the stability you'd need, ESPECIALLY if you try to put side pressure on it. Not camming it over (in my opinion) could possibly leave the rope with the ability to work its way out of the knot.

I like the overall idea/concept, but the WE steps and the knot were designed to be cammed over for greater stability and safety.

(Again, this is just my opinion.)

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Personally I would never trust plywood anymore at 20’ or higher. Those days are long gone for me. This video pops up here every few months, there were a handful of guys who have modified this idea to include grooves for it to lock into place, a few others. Search it up. They would be the best to ask. I’ve heard the rumor of WE coming out w their own platform and I saw a post on Instagram where Andrew showed a picture .... looked like a rough idea

Wild edge is working on a platform that is welded on top, It will be a bit before its out. If you know a welder you could weld a platform on , but Id have it done by a professional , if I was going to go that route

I am a plywood platform survivor.

There are a couple other threads here on versions of this concept that some guys with a death wish like me used last season.

I'm not good at finding and posting them so you'll have to search yourself (plus I don't want you to die and feel responsible).

I liked my plywood platform a lot, but I suppose I wouldn't if I died. Keep in mind that I'm only a one season saddle hunter and if I keep using the plywood platform that's probably all I'll ever be. I definitely don't recommend you using such a comfortable, easy to build and use, and cost effective method because you could die.

The video you posted was the exact one that sparked my interest in having near death experiences and lead me to the similar build of a no hole version that goes on a currently unavailable Primal v-step (probably discontinued due to too many deaths).

2019 is the year of safety here at saddlehunter.com and I support that whole heartedly, so do not undertake such risky ideas because you could die and ruin your whole life.

Seriously, always use climb rated gear, stay tethered to the tree at all times, and avoid plywood platforms like the plague, which is the only surer way to die.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Don't think you'll ever get anyone to say it's 100% safe, too many people are scared of getting sued. I'm sure that 3/4" ply is close to breaking with not much additional weight, and there are lots of variables at play like how much you weigh, how big the holes are drilled and how close to the edges of the ply they are, and how much exposure to deteriorating elements (moisture) the ply has seen. That said, I think it's an interesting technique. I might consider it if I was strict about testing it at safe heights and replacing the ply on a regular basis. I would not recommend this for anyone else.

I had similar thoughts about the plywood. That’s why I’d like to team it up with some thick aluminum plate or even use a solid aluminum plate. Maybe add some angle aluminum or square aluminum for rigidity.

My plywood platform is a piece of scrap I had leftover in garage, but I think it was an expensive hardwood plywood. It is stiff and heavy. No flex at all by itself. I weigh 215 and it feels solid to me. Hunted all archery on it with no issues. I'm never on it unless I'm tethered so the death defying aspect of it doesn't bother me too much.

Don't take my previous jesting too seriously. The guys on this forum are in the right to express caution and safety first. Don't do anything you can't accept the risk for and extensively test everything you think you can handle at ground level before trusting it at hunting height.

Also, the Primal v-step is far superior to the WE step for this application, simply because the cross bar is mounted lower on the V so a 3/4" board fits in between them level. WE stepps force an upward angle which is akward (but they are great to climb with and Andrew from Wild Edge rocks!). Not sure if/when the Primals will come back available for purchase.
d3d9864c15e7b9218e34738b7adb2bc5.jpg
b792085c9d5f79eab397d0678b0b8cec.jpg
7ccc816c5f30398c2926fe459d23636a.jpg
e3ac8c8818c9f357b658a0cfd317dd60.jpg
649c647fc9352a30b591fc2f9972feae.jpg
a4b441dcd117681c604a6a533434cddb.jpg

I would not use this idea withOUT actually securely camming the step over. That is what would actually give it the stability you'd need, ESPECIALLY if you try to put side pressure on it. Not camming it over (in my opinion) could possibly leave the rope with the ability to work its way out of the knot.

I like the overall idea/concept, but the WE steps and the knot were designed to be cammed over for greater stability and safety.

(Again, this is just my opinion.)

Surely there’s a way of camping it over with a good knot and still using the platform. It just makes take some over engineering. Ha

Personally I would never trust plywood anymore at 20’ or higher. Those days are long gone for me. This video pops up here every few months, there were a handful of guys who have modified this idea to include grooves for it to lock into place, a few others. Search it up. They would be the best to ask. I’ve heard the rumor of WE coming out w their own platform and I saw a post on Instagram where Andrew showed a picture .... looked like a rough idea

Is it on wild edges Instagram?

Surely there’s a way of camping it over with a good knot and still using the platform. It just makes take some over engineering. Ha

The way the guy had it in that video was just loosely on the tree. Out of the three points of contact, both of the top "legs" of the step would not be touching the tree. I like and would trust the setup in the other pics more that that which was in the posted video.

Last edited:

There is no problem camming the step over with a no hole version. You can do it with or without the board in place.

If you use the hole version it's tough to tie the loop under the board before camming the step. A Primal step works better cause it has a cinch strap rather than a rope.
d7043ab3a496a04792a2037b90367386.jpg
35c2a0b4abe34a869be4376b033008e8.jpg
b97942490d2e2b6b07bc1c95362e6c0f.jpg

Wild edge is working on a platform that is welded on top, It will be a bit before its out. If you know a welder you could weld a platform on , but Id have it done by a professional , if I was going to go that route

Can you post pictures of their concept platform idea?

I am a plywood platform survivor.

There are a couple other threads here on versions of this concept that some guys with a death wish like me used last season.

I'm not good at finding and posting them so you'll have to search yourself (plus I don't want you to die and feel responsible).

I liked my plywood platform a lot, but I suppose I wouldn't if I died. Keep in mind that I'm only a one season saddle hunter and if I keep using the plywood platform that's probably all I'll ever be. I definitely don't recommend you using such a comfortable, easy to build and use, and cost effective method because you could die.

The video you posted was the exact one that sparked my interest in having near death experiences and lead me to the similar build of a no hole version that goes on a currently unavailable Primal v-step (probably discontinued due to too many deaths).

2019 is the year of safety here at saddlehunter.com and I support that whole heartedly, so do not undertake such risky ideas because you could die and ruin your whole life.

Seriously, always use climb rated gear, stay tethered to the tree at all times, and avoid plywood platforms like the plague, which is the only surer way to die.

c6c599adb56422aacc79c886198653a9.jpg

Can you post pictures of their concept platform idea?

He had it up on Instagram , he has been testing it , says it's cool. Andrew the owner doesn't use one but with everyone asking about platforms he designed one. Looked simple like a square platform with cross bars but unless you follow wild edge on Instagram gram you won't know . There are a few new things coming out from them , I think they just have a ton of work. saddle hunting exploded all at once and everyone was scrambling to get climbing systems. Maybe try to call them, I think that is as direct as you can get to get info

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

My plywood platform is a piece of scrap I had leftover in garage, but I think it was an expensive hardwood plywood. It is stiff and heavy. No flex at all by itself. I weigh 215 and it feels solid to me. Hunted all archery on it with no issues. I'm never on it unless I'm tethered so the death defying aspect of it doesn't bother me too much.

Don't take my previous jesting too seriously. The guys on this forum are in the right to express caution and safety first. Don't do anything you can't accept the risk for and extensively test everything you think you can handle at ground level before trusting it at hunting height.

Also, the Primal v-step is far superior to the WE step for this application, simply because the cross bar is mounted lower on the V so a 3/4" board fits in between them level. WE stepps force an upward angle which is akward (but they are great to climb with and Andrew from Wild Edge rocks!). Not sure if/when the Primals will come back available for purchase.
d3d9864c15e7b9218e34738b7adb2bc5.jpg
b792085c9d5f79eab397d0678b0b8cec.jpg
7ccc816c5f30398c2926fe459d23636a.jpg
e3ac8c8818c9f357b658a0cfd317dd60.jpg
649c647fc9352a30b591fc2f9972feae.jpg
a4b441dcd117681c604a6a533434cddb.jpg

Would you be willing to sell one of their primal v-steps so I could try my hand at building one?

The way the guy had it in that video was just loosely on the tree. Out of the three points of contact, both of the top "legs" of the step would not be touching the tree. I like and would trust the setup in the other pics more that that which was in the posted video.

Agreed

Would you be willing to sell one of their primal v-steps so I could try my hand at building one?

Sorry. I only have the one I bought to make my platform. I bought WEs to climb with. Others on here bought the 4 pack of Primals when they were for sale (to climb with and use as platform). Not sure if they are coming back for sale or not.

Sorry. I only have the one I bought to make my platform. I bought WEs to climb with. Others on here bought the 4 pack of Primals when they were for sale (to climb with and use as platform). Not sure if they are coming back for sale or not.

I did a quick search and nothing is coming up. I wonder if wild edge sued them.

Back