• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Wild edge step questions

Wlog

SH Member
I have a couple questions for guys that are using these.

1.) What are you doing to transport and keep them quiet? Stealth strips? Back pack?

2.) Would I be better off buying with the 8 foot ropes or 6? You can get a 3 pack with 8 footers but they are a little more expensive than 3 with six foot ropes.

3.) Will 3 be enough? I'd rather not go with 4 if I don't have to.

I transport it the bag supplied by wildedgeinc. It keeps them packed tight and quiet. If you don't have one I suggest that you order one.
Rope size depends on the diameter of trees you typically hunt. I have around 20 something stepps and they all have the 6" rope. That works fine for me.
I assume your talking about using them for a platform only when you say 3 or 4. I typically use 3 myself. Just a personal preference on how many you use really.

I only have 2 Stepps at the moment, I use them as a platform and climb via other means. I may buy a complete set after this season because I'm getting really good at setting them up. They don't take all that much more time to set up, but that is the topic for other posts.

I bought two of the 'singles' to test the waters and see if I like them for a platform. In short, they came with whatever length rope comes with the singles and it has been more then adequate for the trees I hunt. To carry them, I have the 'standard' loop affixed to the back of my saddle that many other folks use to transport Stepps for their platform. It works VERY well and is plenty quiet without augmenting them with stealth strips or the like. I am just careful to NOT unintentionally bang them on anything when setting them up. FWIW emplacing them right-to-left is the key for me when putting multiple Stepps at the same height.

For the way I use them, 2 is perfect and 3 Stepps may get in the way. (Sorry Andrew!)
The reason for this is how I spread them on the tree, my boot sits (stands) across the longer axis of each Stepp. If I put one directly in front of me (in lieu of an XOP platform) I would be standing on the shorter axis of the Stepp. I think that would be similar to hunting while in the 'up' position of a calf raise exercise because only the balls of my feet would contact the Stepp (I have a size 13 boot). Perhaps this is not the case, but so far I haven't really needed to alter the manner in which I use them. They are VERY secured to the tree when I put them on therefore I am NOT concerned in the least with cross-loading as if leaning for a shot.

If I remember, I'll snap a picture of the back of my saddle to show you how I 'pack' these two Stepps. It works well for me, I can easily untie the securing cord and pull each Stepp individually to set them up, all without making noise. YMMV.

In case you can't tell, I am a huge fan of these Stepps and like others I anxiously await his dadgum Stepp Platform unveiling. If you see Andrew, tell him to hurry up!

I carry mine currently in a canvas bag that my wife used for swim clothes (shhh..... She doesn't know and probably won't find out until next summer). I do plan on buying the Wild edge bag in the near future though.

Like bigasports said the length of rope depends on the trees you hunt. I am 6' tall and for a general rule I have found that if I can lean against the tree, reach around it and pass the rope from one hand to another the 6' rope works. If I have to swing the rope around and catch it the 6' rope is too small.

Here are two pics of my homemade saddle and how I carry my Stepp platform.
One pic w/out Stepps, one pic with them tied on and ready for the assault!
d06d078452287052618a7696331c44d3.jpg
031ef5ac1044f65ed93bdd18cdd58a74.jpg

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

Thanks for the responses guys. I really like the looks of the way they attach and seem like they would be a great option for a platform. My main concern is metal banging on metal when they are being packed, unpacked and transported. I'm sure I can figure that part out.

Ok, just pulled the trigger and ordered three single stepps. Hopefully these will work out the way I'm expecting. If so, this should get me back in the saddle and leaving my stand at home.

So here is an update. Stepps came in yesterday. Didn't have to wait long. I attached the 3 that I ordered to a telephone pole overnight and left them all day to stretch the ropes some. (Someone recommended that, I don't remember who). I tried out the stepps on a big black gum this evening first at ground level.

They are a little tricky to get attached all at the same height with 3. Atleast at first anyway. After I successfully attached them I tried them out and they were fairly solidly attached but not perfect. I took them off and put a climbing stick on. The LW strap had to be let out the whole way to get on the tree. Like I said it was a big tree. About the biggest I would consider hunting from.

I placed one stepp on each side of my LW stick at the same height as the top of the stick to start out and climbed up. While I was tethered to the tree I walked around and found that I could shoot 360 with just 2 and a climbing stick. I was surprised because back in my TL days it would take me five screw ins to shoot all the way around.

So my take away is that there definitely is a learning curve to getting them attached to the tree but with practice it should get quicker and easier. The quality of the product seems top notch. I still haven't figured out how I want to transport them yet. I've got four climbing sticks with a carrying strap. I'm going to try to figure out a way to strap them on. I despise carrying a pack and use a vest but I don't have a pocket to jam them in. I'll come up with something. Maybe a strap on my RC harness. IDK, open for more suggestions.

Wes

Back