• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Will this work

Pasteve81

Want to test out the bolt method of getting up a tree. Think it would be nice not having to carry sticks on every hunt. Found a bunch of M12- 1.75 8inch unbracko bolts. Drilled a 15/32 hole in a block of wood and they fit perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ef3da78ec350fa3613579565383d9da9.jpg

In my experience, anything less than grade 8 will bend. Also, 6” is my preference. If you aren’t careful to keep your foot close to the tree and get out near the head of the bolt, there is a lot of leverage that can bend the bolt. As with any climbing method, try it extensively at very low height before advancing to hunting heights.

052ce82ea54dbde6ea0fd3f55ead1c8d.jpg

This is the info I found about these bolts. Will test one at ground level first. I guess I could cut them down inch or 2?

052ce82ea54dbde6ea0fd3f55ead1c8d.jpg

This is the info I found about these bolts. Will test one at ground level first. I guess I could cut them down inch or 2?

I use 7inch bolts and they work fine and i weigh 200lbs but like @mtsrunner said just don't stand on the very tip of the bolt and they should be ok! If you are worried just drill your hole deeper unless you're using a hand drill then you cannot! Stay safe and always try everything at ground level until you are certain it is safe!!!!

Back