• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Wood ducks getting eaten in the dark?

MattMan81

SH Member
So lots of standing water where I hunt. Seems most mornings I hear wood ducks squeaking, and often times some splashing and weird squeaking. There are lots of racoons around there. Are they attacking the wood ducks and eating them?? It's always at dark like right when I set up. I hear a big splash, and then some duck noise. Then nothing. Is that what's going on? Anyone else have experience with that?

So lots of standing water where I hunt. Seems most mornings I hear wood ducks squeaking, and often times some splashing and weird squeaking. There are lots of racoons around there. Are they attacking the wood ducks and eating them?? It's always at dark like right when I set up. I hear a big splash, and then some duck noise. Then nothing. Is that what's going on? Anyone else have experience with that?
They're just being ducks. Waking up, jostling each other, getting startled, gossiping...etc

I hear them in the dark all the time if I'm near a roost area. They generally roost in trees around here, but will roost on the water if there isn't a suitable tree.

Wood ducks and teal are usually the first ducks to move in the morning and the last to move in the evening. Can't tell you how many times I've had wood ducks pitch into the decoys 15-20 minutes before shooting time.

Growing up in big river bottoms in Eastern Oklahoma(and hunting public lands), I've listened to wood ducks whistle and squeal all night long from the roost. One of my favorite animals to listen to.

Back